1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about applying to chem REU summer internships?

1. Jan 2, 2012 #1
    I have a few questions about applying to REU programs. I've heard that some schools are a lot more selective than others...but how would you know which ones are the hardest/easiest to get into? I mean...I want to apply a some safeties (even getting into these will probably be difficult for me) but also some reach schools...

Also how important is it that I email the professors at the REU sites before applying?
    Is it bad to just apply without having contacted the professors you want to work with?

Also my summer as a rising sophomore, I spent working at a hospital because I was (past tense) premed...so I only have one summer of research (back at my own college) under my belt :(
    I'm going to be a rising senior this coming summer. and i decided on being a chem major very late (didnt take any chem courses till sophomore year)...so I only have gen chem, a year of orgo, and a semester of pchem. (two more chem classes next semester)
    very average grades. so I'm kind of scared. I really want to go to grad school and I'm afraid that I'll be rejected by every research place I apply to and end up jobless..which would look horrible :(

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2012 #2
    bumpity bump bump

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook