Questions about getting into the Photovoltaic industry

In summary, the individual has a B.S. in physics and is interested in pursuing a career in photovoltaics or alternative energy. They are questioning if most photovoltaic companies require a minimum of a Masters degree, if there is potential for niche markets in small startups, and what are the best websites to stay updated on photovoltaic technology. They are also considering the current job market, where there is a growing interest in wind energy. They are hopeful that with government support, experience and education in this field will be valuable.
Higgs_world
Hello to all and thank you for reading this post:cool:

I graduated with a B.S. in physics from Texas State Univ.(2008) not to be confused with Univ. of Texas. Anyways, I have looked for jobs and most of it points to the oil industry, which I do not really want to end up in. I am really interested in photovoltaics and am pretty sure that is the industry that I want to end up in( if not, some other form of alternative energy will do.) So here are my questions:

1) Do most photovoltaic companies only hire physicists with a mimimum of a Masters?

2) Is there or will there be a niche market, so that small startups will be able to offer services or products to photovoltaic users that are not already available from larger companies?

3)What are the best websites to stay up to date with the photovoltaic tech.?

4) Am I wasting my time asking these questions?

Thanks for everyone's help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
There was a big item on BBC news yesterday about how Texan energy companies are really getting into wind energy. So it *might* be worth looking at that if you want a job *now*. Photovoltaics doesn't seem to be being taken up quite so much yet, so maybe you will need to gat an MSc and PhD and do the research path for that. Anyway, good luck, though you won't need it, with Obama et. al. really pushiing alternatives any experience/education in this area will be useful.

As a scientist in the field of photovoltaics, I can provide some insights and advice for those interested in getting into the industry. Here are my responses to your questions:

1) While having a Masters degree may be preferred by some photovoltaic companies, it is not always a requirement. Many companies also hire individuals with a Bachelors degree in physics or a related field. It's important to highlight your relevant coursework and any experience or skills you have in the photovoltaic industry.

2) There is definitely room for smaller startups in the photovoltaic industry, especially as the demand for alternative energy continues to grow. These companies can offer unique products or services that may not be available from larger companies, and can also bring innovation and competition to the market.

3) Some good websites to stay up to date with photovoltaic technology include Solar Power World, PV Magazine, and Renewable Energy World. Attending conferences and networking with professionals in the industry can also help you stay informed about the latest developments.

4) It is not a waste of time to ask these questions. It shows that you are proactive and interested in learning more about the industry. Keep exploring and researching different opportunities in the photovoltaic field, and don't be afraid to reach out to professionals for advice and guidance. Good luck in your job search!

1. What is the Photovoltaic industry?

The Photovoltaic industry is the industry that deals with the production and use of solar cells, also known as photovoltaic cells. These cells convert sunlight into electricity, making them a renewable and sustainable source of energy.

2. What are some job opportunities in the Photovoltaic industry?

Some common job opportunities in the Photovoltaic industry include solar panel installation, solar system design and engineering, sales and marketing, research and development, and project management. There are also opportunities in manufacturing, quality control, and maintenance.

3. What education or skills are required to enter the Photovoltaic industry?

Most jobs in the Photovoltaic industry require at least a bachelor's degree in a related field such as engineering, physics, or renewable energy. Some positions may also require specific certifications or training. Strong technical skills, problem-solving abilities, and knowledge of renewable energy technologies are also important for this industry.

4. How can I gain experience in the Photovoltaic industry?

One way to gain experience in the Photovoltaic industry is through internships or apprenticeships with companies or organizations that work with solar energy. Another option is to participate in research projects or volunteer with renewable energy organizations. Taking courses or workshops related to solar energy can also help build your knowledge and skills in this field.

5. What is the future outlook for the Photovoltaic industry?

The future of the Photovoltaic industry looks promising as the demand for renewable energy sources continues to grow. According to the International Energy Agency, solar power is expected to become the largest source of electricity by 2035. This means that there will be plenty of job opportunities and advancements in technology within this industry in the coming years.