1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about getting into the Photovoltaic industry

1. Jul 9, 2009 #1
    Hello to all and thank you for reading this post:cool:

I graduated with a B.S. in physics from Texas State Univ.(2008) not to be confused with Univ. of Texas. Anyways, I have looked for jobs and most of it points to the oil industry, which I do not really want to end up in. I am really interested in photovoltaics and am pretty sure that is the industry that I want to end up in( if not, some other form of alternative energy will do.) So here are my questions:

1) Do most photovoltaic companies only hire physicists with a mimimum of a Masters?

2) Is there or will there be a niche market, so that small startups will be able to offer services or products to photovoltaic users that are not already available from larger companies?

3)What are the best websites to stay up to date with the photovoltaic tech.?

4) Am I wasting my time asking these questions?

Thanks for everyone's help in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2009 #2
    There was a big item on BBC news yesterday about how Texan energy companies are really getting into wind energy. So it *might* be worth looking at that if you want a job *now*. Photovoltaics doesn't seem to be being taken up quite so much yet, so maybe you will need to gat an MSc and PhD and do the research path for that. Anyway, good luck, though you won't need it, with Obama et. al. really pushiing alternatives any experience/education in this area will be useful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook