1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about Linear Combinations of Random Variables

1. Oct 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    RQwRhjc.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    Y=1/2*(X1-X3)^2+1/14*(X2+2X4-3X5)^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    For (a) part, I have only learnt to find the moment-generating function of Y, but not finding the p.d.f.
    Moreover, the examples I have seen only involves random variables Xi to the power 1, but not to higher power.

For (b) part, the difficulty for me is just similar to part (a).

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2013 #2
    Hint: [tex] (Z_1^2 + ... +Z_n^2) +(Z_1^2 + ... +Z_m^2) = (Z_1^2 + ... +Z_n^2 +...+ Z_m^2) [/tex]

4. Oct 15, 2013 #3
    sorry but...what property is it? I haven't learnt this before...

5. Oct 15, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

##Z_1 = X_1 - X_3## has an ##N(0,a)## distribution, ##Z_2 = X_2+2X_4-3X_5## is ##N(0,b)##, and ##Z_1, Z_2## are independent. So ##Y## involves a weighted sum of squares of independent, mean-0 random variables.

6. Oct 17, 2013 #5
    So do you mean given the random variables are independent, the sum or difference of them will also have the same distribution of them? Also, how can a duel with the square of the random variables? Do I need to consider it with transformation of variables?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted