• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Questions about Linear Combinations of Random Variables

• Thread starter ken15ken15
  • Start date

Homework Statement

RQwRhjc.jpg

Homework Equations

Y=1/2*(X1-X3)^2+1/14*(X2+2X4-3X5)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

For (a) part, I have only learnt to find the moment-generating function of Y, but not finding the p.d.f.
Moreover, the examples I have seen only involves random variables Xi to the power 1, but not to higher power.

For (b) part, the difficulty for me is just similar to part (a).

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Hint: [tex] (Z_1^2 + ... +Z_n^2) +(Z_1^2 + ... +Z_m^2) = (Z_1^2 + ... +Z_n^2 +...+ Z_m^2) [/tex]

Hint: [tex] (Z_1^2 + ... +Z_n^2) +(Z_1^2 + ... +Z_m^2) = (Z_1^2 + ... +Z_n^2 +...+ Z_m^2) [/tex]
sorry but...what property is it? I haven't learnt this before...

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

Homework Statement

RQwRhjc.jpg

Homework Equations

Y=1/2*(X1-X3)^2+1/14*(X2+2X4-3X5)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

For (a) part, I have only learnt to find the moment-generating function of Y, but not finding the p.d.f.
Moreover, the examples I have seen only involves random variables Xi to the power 1, but not to higher power.

For (b) part, the difficulty for me is just similar to part (a).
##Z_1 = X_1 - X_3## has an ##N(0,a)## distribution, ##Z_2 = X_2+2X_4-3X_5## is ##N(0,b)##, and ##Z_1, Z_2## are independent. So ##Y## involves a weighted sum of squares of independent, mean-0 random variables.

##Z_1 = X_1 - X_3## has an ##N(0,a)## distribution, ##Z_2 = X_2+2X_4-3X_5## is ##N(0,b)##, and ##Z_1, Z_2## are independent. So ##Y## involves a weighted sum of squares of independent, mean-0 random variables.
So do you mean given the random variables are independent, the sum or difference of them will also have the same distribution of them? Also, how can a duel with the square of the random variables? Do I need to consider it with transformation of variables?