1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mixed random variable distribution question

1. Oct 25, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    See attached image (See below)

2. Relevant equations
    Differential equations.
    And a combination of discrete & continuous distributions

3. The attempt at a solution
    The Continous Distribution Function (CDF) is given in the question. So I differentiated it with respect to x piecewise (See below). That is what I got

I can also see that there is a uniform distribution between 0 and 1 but also there are discrete points that have assigned probability. For example; those points could be 0,1 and 2? maybe?
    I want to be able to find the value of c while remembering the sum of the probabilities must add up and equal to 1.

How do I go about solving for c? this is where I am stuck. I cannot seem to figure out where to go from here. Thanks!

Question:
    2b.png Differentiated with respect to xpiecewise.png (When I differentiated it)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2017 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The calculation of the density function ##f## is not quite correct. The density is infinite at ##x=0,2## and also possibly at 1 (depending on the value of ##c##), because the CDF jumps up discontinuously at those points. We say there is a 'discrete probability mass' at those infinite-density points, meaning there is a non-zero probability of X having exactly that value.

You need to use the additional fact that ##E[X]=1##. Using the formulas you got for ##f##, corrected to also include the points of discrete probability mass at 0 and 2, write an expression for ##E[X]## in terms of ##c##. Equating that expression to 1 will give you an equation you can solve to find ##c##. The expression will be a sum of integrals and isolated discrete terms.

There are two cases to consider here - (1) where there is a discrete probability mass at ##x=1## and (2) where there is not. I suggest trying case (1) first. If that does not give an acceptable solution, try case (2).

4. Oct 25, 2017 #3
    Thank you for that. I figured it might have had something to do with the expectation formula. E[X] = 1 in terms of c. There are definitions for the expectation of continuous random variables and for discrete ones as well. For a mixed distribution you would need to mix both definitions together right?
    I'm having a lot of trouble trying to figure out how to mix these two expectation formulas

5. Oct 25, 2017 #4

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just integrate ##xf(x)## over the domain excluding the discrete mass points, and add the sum across each of those points of (probability of landing on the point) x (value of x at that point).

6. Oct 25, 2017 #5
    This is what I did but I don't think I'm going in a correct direction. C = constant whereas c = the value i'm looking for. 1.png

7. Oct 25, 2017 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For a non-negative random variable ##X##, whether continuous, discrete or mixed, if ##F(x) = P(X \leq x)## is the CDF and ##G(x) = P(X > x) = 1 - F(x)## is the complementary CDF, then we have that
    $$ EX = \int_0^{\infty} G(x) \, dx $$
    You can do the integral in terms of ##c## and so get an equation for ##c##.

8. Oct 25, 2017 #7
    I got a c value of 1/3 by doing this (1 = c/2 + ½ -c + 2/3 )
    Then for part (i): Probability = 1/6th or 16.67%
    (ii) Probability = 2/3rds or 66.67%
    (iii) Probability = 1/3rd or 33.3%
    (iv) Probability = 1/2 or 50%

I think I've got it now providing those are the right answers!

9. Oct 25, 2017 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The first two are; I have not checked the other two.

However, in English, "1/6" is already pronounced as "one-sixth", so when you write 1/6th you are really writing "one-sixth-th". Thus, the The first two answers are just 1/6 and 2/3 (not "two-thirds-irds").

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted