Questions about monopoles (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Hi All
I have some questions about monopoles, I would be grateful if someone help me in answering them.
1-Does all GUTs gauge groups simple and semi simple suffer from the monopoles problem?
2- If semi simple groups suffer from the above problem why standard Model doesn't produce monoples although there will be U(1) electromagnetic group when spontanous breaking happens?
Eman

blechman

Science Advisor
Hi All
I have some questions about monopoles, I would be grateful if someone help me in answering them.
1-Does all GUTs gauge groups simple and semi simple suffer from the monopoles problem?
many of them do.

2- If semi simple groups suffer from the above problem why standard Model doesn't produce monoples although there will be U(1) electromagnetic group when spontanous breaking happens?
Eman
It does! Well, EWSB won't since there's a U(1) hypercharge, but for example, SU(5) GUT theories should produce monopoles. In fact, this was the original motivation for inflation - to push them all out of causal contact with us.

Haelfix

Science Advisor
It should be that nonperturbative physics in many gauge theories already include these objects, for instance in various supersymmetric field theories and others. So they are far from just being a signature of GUT physics perse.

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving