Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about monopoles

1. Mar 25, 2008 #1
    Hi All
    I have some questions about monopoles, I would be grateful if someone help me in answering them.
    1-Does all GUTs gauge groups simple and semi simple suffer from the monopoles problem?
    2- If semi simple groups suffer from the above problem why standard Model doesn't produce monoples although there will be U(1) electromagnetic group when spontanous breaking happens?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2008 #2

Science Advisor

many of them do.

It does! Well, EWSB won't since there's a U(1) hypercharge, but for example, SU(5) GUT theories should produce monopoles. In fact, this was the original motivation for inflation - to push them all out of causal contact with us.
  4. Mar 25, 2008 #3

Science Advisor

It should be that nonperturbative physics in many gauge theories already include these objects, for instance in various supersymmetric field theories and others. So they are far from just being a signature of GUT physics perse.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?