Questions about Muonic Hydrogen: Binding Energy, Rydberg Formulas & Momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses questions about muonic hydrogen, including how to calculate the binding energy and if there is a Rydberg formula for muonic hydrogen. It is suggested to use a formula for ordinary hydrogen but replace the electron mass with the muon mass. The conversation also mentions that the muon is approximately 200 times heavier than the electron and that replacing the electron mass with the muon mass results in a 200 times smaller binding energy. However, this does not make sense based on the relationship between mass and energy. The conversation also mentions the Lyman limit and the energy of a photon.
Myslius
I have a few questions about muonic hydrogen:
How to calculate the binding energy?
Is there Rydberg formula analog for muonic hydrogen?
Is there a way to calculate muon momentum (similar like the electron has, 2.730 e-22 kg m/s)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Find a formula for whatever quantity you're interested in, that contains the electron mass (for ordinary hydrogen). For example, Rydberg's constant can be written in terms of the electron mass and other constants. Replace the electron mass with the muon mass.

c01cab778038166e79e4ace1a0fb9221.png

Muon is approximately 200 heavier than electron. If I replace electron mass with muon mass I get that binding energy is 200 smaller (13.6 eV / 200). That doesn't make any sense to me. How come 200 times heavier muon, who is 200 closer can have 200 smaller binding energy? That does look similar to strong force.

Last edited:
Myslius said:
If I replace electron mass with muon mass I get that binding energy is 200 smaller

Try it and see.

if m is 200 times bigger, wavelength is 200 smaller, so the binding energy is 200 smaller too. Lyman limit for electron-hydrogen atom is 91.2 nm, which corresponds to 13.6eV. Binding energy from Rydberg formula is 13.6 eV / 200

Last edited:
Myslius said:
if m is 200 times bigger, wavelength is 200 smaller,

Correct.

so the binding energy is 200 smaller too.

Incorrect. Hint: what is the energy of a photon proportional to, in general?

Ah yes, 13.6 eV * 200. I need to contemplate the answer.

1. What is muonic hydrogen and how does it differ from regular hydrogen?

Muonic hydrogen is a type of hydrogen atom that contains a muon instead of an electron in its orbit around the nucleus. This makes it much heavier than regular hydrogen, as the muon has about 200 times the mass of an electron.

2. What is the binding energy of muonic hydrogen and how is it calculated?

The binding energy of muonic hydrogen is the energy required to remove the muon from its orbit around the nucleus. It can be calculated using the Rydberg formula, which takes into account the charge of the nucleus, the mass of the muon, and other physical constants.

3. How does the binding energy of muonic hydrogen compare to that of regular hydrogen?

The binding energy of muonic hydrogen is significantly higher than that of regular hydrogen. This is due to the much greater mass of the muon, which results in a stronger attraction to the nucleus.

4. What is the significance of the Rydberg formula in studying muonic hydrogen?

The Rydberg formula allows scientists to calculate the energy levels and transitions of muonic hydrogen, just as it does for regular hydrogen. This helps us better understand the behavior of muonic hydrogen and the properties of the muon.

5. How does the momentum of a muon in muonic hydrogen compare to that of an electron in regular hydrogen?

The momentum of a muon in muonic hydrogen is significantly higher than that of an electron in regular hydrogen, due to the muon's much greater mass. This results in a higher velocity and shorter orbit around the nucleus for the muon.