Questions about Quantum Gravity

In summary, there is currently no successful theory of quantum gravity. Canonical quantum gravity and string theory both contain general relativity in the low-energy limit, but neither are complete theories. There is also the issue of background independence, with loop quantum gravity claiming to be background independent but unable to derive all of general relativity. The verification of supersymmetry in string theory is still uncertain and the energy scale at which it may appear is much higher than current technology can reach. Overall, the search for a complete theory of quantum gravity is ongoing and may require advancements in technology or new discoveries in the future.
Moayd Shagaf
So my first question is :- Is there any quantum theory success to derive the principle of general relativity? and If this happen, Does this mean we succeeded in finding a quantum theory of gravity?.
and My second question is :- Is quantized background-independet theories exists? and If so, is that mean there is must be modification that make us able to make a quantum theory of gravity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Moayd Shagaf said:
So my first question is :- Is there any quantum theory success to derive the principle of general relativity? and If this happen, Does this mean we succeeded in finding a quantum theory of gravity?.
and My second question is :- Is quantized background-independet theories exists? and If so, is that mean there is must be modification that make us able to make a quantum theory of gravity?
The only answer I can give is that there is, as of now, no theory of quantum gravity.

I suggest that you learn to do a forum search when you have questions that a moments thought will make you realize are very likely to have been asked by others. A forum search on "quantum gravity" for example, would have answered your first question rather quickly.

Likes Moayd Shagaf
phinds said:
The only answer I can give is that there is, as of now, no theory of quantum gravity.

I suggest that you learn to do a forum search when you have questions that a moments thought will make you realize are very likely to have been asked by others. A forum search on "quantum gravity" for example, would have answered your first question rather quickly.
Thanks, I'll do.

Canonical quantum gravity (gravitons) contains GR in the low-energy limit, but it is not UV complete. String theory is a theory of quantum gravity which contains GR in the low-energy limit, and it may be UV complete, but string theories come with a ton of extra particle physics, and a particular theory containing our particle physics hasn't been found.

Your second question is harder to answer. The full nonperturbative definition of string theory doesn't really exist right now. Loop quantum gravity claims to be background independent, but it cannot be used to derive all of GR (though you can get specific solutions from what I've heard).

Likes Moayd Shagaf
king vitamin said:
Canonical quantum gravity (gravitons) contains GR in the low-energy limit, but it is not UV complete. String theory is a theory of quantum gravity which contains GR in the low-energy limit, and it may be UV complete, but string theories come with a ton of extra particle physics, and a particular theory containing our particle physics hasn't been found.

Gravitons are problematic since detecting one is extremely difficult due to the weakness of gravity. Such detection would settle the issue of their existence in our low energy lives. There are indeed some who doubt their very existence, but these spin-2 bosons have been used as a starting point to derive the equations of GR, and energy of gravitational waves. Are these simply a coincidence, or indirect evidence that gravitons are indeed an emergent propetry of effective field and'or emergent GR at low energy? If I understand it properly, the success of string theory hangs (in part) on the verification of supersymmetry, which is hanging in the balance at the moment (LHC has so far failed to find evidence of supersymmetry at energies where it might have been expected to begin appearing). Stay tuned.

king vitamin said:
Your second question is harder to answer. The full nonperturbative definition of string theory doesn't really exist right now. Loop quantum gravity claims to be background independent, but it cannot be used to derive all of GR (though you can get specific solutions from what I've heard).

"Covariant Loop and Quantum Gravity" by Carlo Rovelli and Francesca Vidotto (Cambridge, 2015) is a reasonably up-to-date intro to loop quantum gravity. Chapter 12 therein addresses the graviton propagator and claims some success in deriving semiclassical linearized gravity, but they admit there is more work to do to clinch things.

To solve this is the holy grail of theoretical physics.

TensorAndTensor said:
If I understand it properly, the success of string theory hangs (in part) on the verification of supersymmetry, which is hanging in the balance at the moment (LHC has so far failed to find evidence of supersymmetry at energies where it might have been expected to begin appearing). Stay tuned.

There's nothing in string theory which claims that SUSY must be detectable at LHC energies. Low-energy SUSY is mostly nice in addressing the hierarchy problem. There are many orders of magnitude between the LHC and the Planck scale.

This is an unfortunate feature of most quantum gravity theories - humans might not ever be able to test it using our technology. But maybe we'll get lucky and quantum gravity will have some low-energy effects, or we will detect some QG remnants from the early universe.

Likes Urs Schreiber

1. What is quantum gravity?

Quantum gravity is a theoretical framework that attempts to reconcile the principles of quantum mechanics, which govern the behavior of particles at the subatomic level, with the principles of general relativity, which govern the behavior of large-scale objects in space and time. It is currently a subject of ongoing research and has not yet been fully developed.

2. How is quantum gravity different from classical gravity?

Classical gravity is described by the theory of general relativity, which explains how massive objects interact with each other through the curvature of space and time. Quantum gravity, on the other hand, attempts to describe gravity at the quantum level, where the laws of quantum mechanics govern the behavior of particles. It is believed that quantum gravity may help explain phenomena such as black holes and the beginning of the universe, which cannot be fully understood using classical gravity.

3. What are the main challenges in developing a theory of quantum gravity?

One of the main challenges in developing a theory of quantum gravity is the conflict between the principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity. These two theories have been incredibly successful in their respective domains, but they are fundamentally incompatible with each other. Another challenge is the lack of experimental evidence for quantum gravity, as it involves extremely high energies and small scales that are difficult to measure.

4. Are there any proposed theories of quantum gravity?

Yes, there are several proposed theories of quantum gravity, including string theory, loop quantum gravity, and causal dynamical triangulation. Each of these theories has its own approach to reconciling quantum mechanics and general relativity, but none have been proven to be the definitive theory of quantum gravity.

5. Why is quantum gravity important?

Quantum gravity is important because it aims to provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces and particles that make up the universe. It may also help solve some of the biggest mysteries in physics, such as the unification of all fundamental forces and the nature of space and time. Additionally, a theory of quantum gravity could have practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies and in our understanding of the early universe.