Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about the Kretschmann curvature scalar

1. Nov 21, 2008 #1
    The Kretschmann curvature scalar is defined to be K = RabcdRabcd where Rabcd is the Riemann tensor. I believe I heard in class that this scalar can be used to demonstrate the existence of a curvature singularity. Can somebody tell me why this is so? Also, I heard that it is better (easier I suppose) to use this Kretschmann curvature scalar rather than examining the Riemann curvature tensor component by component, to achieve this conclusion.
    Can someone help explain why (and how maybe?) we can demonstrate the existence of the singularity in the first place?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi student85! :smile:

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarzschild_metric#Singularities_and_black_holes:

4. Nov 22, 2008 #3
    Hey tiny-tim, thanks!
    I think you have helped me with several questions in the past, and you're always so kind. You deserve a prize! Oh wait, you do have some awards there I see :p. Anyway, thanks again...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?