Questions about the Kretschmann curvature scalar

In summary, the Kretschmann curvature scalar, defined as K = RabcdRabcd where Rabcd is the Riemann tensor, can be used to demonstrate the existence of a curvature singularity. This is because at r = 0, the Kretschmann invariant becomes infinite, indicating the presence of a singularity. It is easier to use this scalar rather than examining the Riemann curvature tensor component by component to reach this conclusion. To show that this is a true singularity, one must look at quantities that are independent of the choice of coordinates, such as the Kretschmann invariant.
student85
The Kretschmann curvature scalar is defined to be K = RabcdRabcd where Rabcd is the Riemann tensor. I believe I heard in class that this scalar can be used to demonstrate the existence of a curvature singularity. Can somebody tell me why this is so? Also, I heard that it is better (easier I suppose) to use this Kretschmann curvature scalar rather than examining the Riemann curvature tensor component by component, to achieve this conclusion.
Can someone help explain why (and how maybe?) we can demonstrate the existence of the singularity in the first place?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi student85! :smile:

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarzschild_metric#Singularities_and_black_holes:
The case r = 0 is different, however. If one asks that the solution be valid for all r one runs into a true physical singularity, or gravitational singularity, at the origin. To see that this is a true singularity one must look at quantities that are independent of the choice of coordinates. One such important quantity is the Kretschmann invariant, which is given by
48G2M2/c4r6
At r = 0 the curvature blows up (becomes infinite) indicating the presence of a singularity.

Likes gustavo_vasques
Hey tiny-tim, thanks!
I think you have helped me with several questions in the past, and you're always so kind. You deserve a prize! Oh wait, you do have some awards there I see :p. Anyway, thanks again...

1. What is the Kretschmann curvature scalar?

The Kretschmann curvature scalar is a mathematical quantity used in the study of general relativity. It is a measure of the curvature of spacetime at a given point and is calculated using the Riemann curvature tensor.

2. How is the Kretschmann curvature scalar calculated?

The Kretschmann curvature scalar is calculated by taking the square of the Riemann curvature tensor and contracting it with itself using the metric tensor. This results in a single value that represents the curvature at a specific point in spacetime.

3. What does the Kretschmann curvature scalar tell us about a spacetime?

The Kretschmann curvature scalar provides information about the strength of the gravitational field at a particular point in spacetime. A higher value indicates a stronger curvature and therefore a stronger gravitational field. It is also used to determine the presence of singularities, which are points of infinite curvature.

4. How is the Kretschmann curvature scalar related to other curvature measures?

The Kretschmann curvature scalar is one of several ways to measure the curvature of spacetime. It is related to other curvature measures such as the Ricci scalar and the Weyl tensor. However, the Kretschmann scalar provides a more comprehensive measure of curvature as it includes contributions from all components of the Riemann curvature tensor.

5. What is the significance of the Kretschmann curvature scalar in physics?

The Kretschmann curvature scalar is important in the study of general relativity and understanding the behavior of gravity. It is also used in black hole physics, as it can help determine the presence of a singularity at the center of a black hole. Additionally, it is used in cosmology to study the curvature of the universe and its evolution over time.