Questions for a electrical engineer sub. power

In summary, the person is currently working in the oilfield but wants to pursue a career in engineering. They are interested in electrical subsea power but are having difficulty finding information on day-to-day work and job opportunities in this field. They are also seeking advice on getting into the industry and would appreciate a first-hand perspective from someone who has experience in this area. They have posted on a forum because many websites have been unhelpful and incomplete.
Pipelining101
I am curently working in the oilfield and want to go back to school to pursue engineering. I haven't quite decided what type but electrical sub power seems interesting but i can't find enough info on day to day work or types of jobs that the field consists of. I am upgradeing from being out of school for too long and need some other courses.

I could use some good sites to reserch info.

And iam curious on some good ways to go about getting into the industry such as placement, your struggles in school/field,satisfied with your place or maybe things you would have done differently.

The reason i have posted this forum is many sites seem unhelpful/incomplete and a first hand view of someone who has lived and is going through it would be great help. Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Pipelining101 said:
I am curently working in the oilfield and want to go back to school to pursue engineering. I haven't quite decided what type but electrical sub power seems interesting but i can't find enough info on day to day work or types of jobs that the field consists of. I am upgradeing from being out of school for too long and need some other courses.

I could use some good sites to reserch info.

And iam curious on some good ways to go about getting into the industry such as placement, your struggles in school/field,satisfied with your place or maybe things you would have done differently.

The reason i have posted this forum is many sites seem unhelpful/incomplete and a first hand view of someone who has lived and is going through it would be great help. Thanks

Electrical subsea power is a very niche market and only a couple of companies come to mind that are doing any R&D work in that area.

IIRC, ABB is one of them.

That being said, if you are interested in engineering as a career you would find it easier to get a job with a BSEE with power concentration. Then you can try and work for a manufacturer such as ABB to learn about subsea power. It's not currently taught in any other engineering programs I'm aware of. Plus you can always work outside of the oil & gas industry as a power engineer.

CS

1. What is the role of a substation power engineer?

A substation power engineer is responsible for designing, constructing, and maintaining the electrical systems that transfer and distribute power from power plants to homes, businesses, and other facilities.

2. What skills are necessary for a successful career as an electrical engineer in the power industry?

Electrical engineers in the power industry require a strong foundation in electrical engineering principles, as well as knowledge of power systems, transmission and distribution, and control systems. Strong problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication skills are also important for success in this field.

3. What are the key components of a substation power system?

A substation power system typically consists of transformers, circuit breakers, switches, relays, and protective equipment. These components work together to control the flow of electricity and ensure safe and reliable power distribution.

4. How do substation power engineers ensure the safety of the power grid?

Substation power engineers use a variety of protective systems and equipment, such as relays and circuit breakers, to detect and isolate faults in the power grid. They also follow strict safety protocols and regulations to prevent accidents and ensure the safe operation of the power system.

5. What new technologies or advancements are currently being implemented in the power industry?

The power industry is constantly evolving and incorporating new technologies to improve efficiency and reliability. Some current advancements include smart grid systems, renewable energy integration, and advanced control and monitoring systems. There is also a growing focus on incorporating digitalization and automation in power systems.