Electronics engineering or electrical engineering

In summary, the conversation is about an Italian high school student who is interested in studying engineering at university and is unsure whether to choose electronics or electrical engineering. They mention their goal of working abroad in the USA and ask whether there is a demand for electronics or electrical engineers and which one earns more. A forum participant suggests that electrical engineering may be a better choice as it offers a wider range of job opportunities and stability in the long term.
Archemista
Hi everyone,
I am an italian student (last year of high school) who would like to study engineering at university. I don't know which one to choose between electronics engineering or electrical engineering (I don't know whether there is this difference abroad)
I just want to say something first: my aim is to go work abroad (USA) as Italy doesn't offer much in this field.
So, my question is: does USA require more electronics engineers than electrical ones?Or viceversa?
Who earns more? (please don't tell me this is not important)

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I would nominate Electrical Engineering.
Electronics changes continuously and so attract young graduates for short periods.
But electrical equipment and power distribution is essential and changes only slowly.

As an Electrical Engineer you can work world-wide in many industries.
That is where the money is.

1. What is the difference between electronics engineering and electrical engineering?

Electronics engineering is a subfield of electrical engineering that focuses on the design, development, and testing of electronic devices and systems. Electrical engineering, on the other hand, covers a broader range of topics including power generation, transmission, and distribution, as well as the design and development of electrical systems.

2. What are some common career paths for electronics or electrical engineers?

Some common career paths for electronics or electrical engineers include working in industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, automotive, and consumer electronics. They may also pursue careers in research and development, consulting, or academia.

3. What skills are important for a career in electronics or electrical engineering?

Strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills are essential for a career in electronics or electrical engineering. Additionally, good communication and teamwork skills, as well as a solid understanding of mathematics and physics, are also important for success in this field.

4. What are some emerging technologies in electronics and electrical engineering?

Some emerging technologies in electronics and electrical engineering include renewable energy systems, internet of things (IoT), artificial intelligence (AI), and 5G wireless communication. These technologies are rapidly advancing and have the potential to greatly impact various industries and our daily lives.

5. How can I prepare for a career in electronics or electrical engineering?

To prepare for a career in electronics or electrical engineering, it is important to have a strong foundation in math, physics, and computer science. Pursuing a degree in either electronics engineering or electrical engineering is also recommended. Additionally, gaining hands-on experience through internships, projects, and research can also be beneficial.