Circular Motion Problems and Solutions

In summary, when the radius and mass are held constant, an increase in the frequency of rotation will cause the centripetal force to increase.
asteg123
1. When the radius and mass are held constant, what do you expect to happen to the centripetal force if the frequency of rotation is increased?

2. What will happen if a rotating platform was set up slightly off the horizontal? Would anything change? What in particular?

3. A ball rotates in a horizontal circle at a constant speed of 10m/s. what are the tensions in the upper and lower strings? The mass of the ball is 3kg.
http://www.freewebs.com/mcroldan08/problem.jpg

4. What angle of bank is necessary for a car to make it around a 130m curve at a speed of 60kph without relying on friction.

5. Determine the speed of the satellite orbiting at a height of 700km above the Earth's surface.
mass of Earth = 5.98 x 10^24 kg
radius of Earth = 6.38 x 10^6 m

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would greatly appreciate the help...

Oh, and btw, I also need Free Body Diagrams for problems 3 - 5 (so that i won't get confused :bugeye: )

Thanks again...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
asteg, what are your thoughts so far?
Especially about the free body diagram--have you come up with anything at all?

So far, I had only done number 4, but i am not very sure of what i did...

I had made a FBD of this and it showed a vector at a certain angle (WRT the y-axis) and towards the right... this vector represents the Normal force... there is also a vector downwards, and it is W=mg

and from there, I'm stuck...

With regards to the other problems, I always get stuck on the FBD, so I can't really figure the problem out...

Hope you could help me...

Ok, so far, I had answers to number 3 & 4, However, I'm not sure if they're right...

Here's what i did, on number 3, I made an FBD and here it is...
http://freewebs.com/mcroldan08/problem2.jpg
Can anyone verify this... This is my equation

Letting the angle be A

the Summation Fy=0=T'sinA - T''sinA-w
the summation Fx=m*a=(mv^2)/R=T''cosA+T'cosA

then i simply did algebra and got the answer

T'' = 325.62N and T' = 360.9N

~~~ In need of verification ~~~

and for number 4
http://freewebs.com/mcroldan08/problem3.jpg
where the angle is A

i got the summation Fx=m*a=n*sinA where a is a-rad
and summation Fy=0=n*cosA-m*g
I have yet to solve this, and i had noticed the lot of conversion of units in this problem

However, i still need to verify if what I did was correct...

~~ in need of verification ~~

and with regards to 1, 2 and 5 , I still have no answers... especially in the numbers 1 & 2 (I'm bad at theory)

Anyways... hopefully, someone will provide help...

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by a moderator:
asteg123 said:
1. When the radius and mass are held constant, what do you expect to happen to the centripetal force if the frequency of rotation is increased?

The centripetal force increases, since [tex]F_{cp}=m\omega^2r[/tex], where [tex]\omega[/tex] is the angular speed of the ball (frequency of rotation).

asteg123 said:
5. Determine the speed of the satellite orbiting at a height of 700km above the Earth's surface.
mass of Earth = 5.98 x 10^24 kg
radius of Earth = 6.38 x 10^6 m

You have to set the centripetal force and the gravitational force to equal, which is a condition for a satellite to orbit around the Earth.

radou said:
You have to set the centripetal force and the gravitational force to equal, which is a condition for a satellite to orbit around the Earth.

Uhmm... is the gravitational force the constant of GM earth??

Is there any other way of solving this other than this method... coz we still haven't discussed GM yet...

I think the method is somewhat involving frequency..
I'm not really sure...

Last edited:
well I'm not very sure it Frequency can be used here, but what is the point of giving u the mass of the Earth if Gravitational Force will not be used.

hmm... true...

I guess I will use the Gravitational force...

THANKS!

Last edited:

Related to Circular Motion Problems and Solutions

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. It is a type of rotational motion where the object moves in a circular path around a central point or axis.

2. What causes an object to undergo circular motion?

An object undergoes circular motion when there is a force acting on it towards the center of the circular path. This force is called centripetal force and it keeps the object moving in a circular path.

3. How is circular motion different from linear motion?

Circular motion involves the movement of an object along a curved path, while linear motion is the movement of an object along a straight path. Additionally, in circular motion, the direction of motion is constantly changing, while in linear motion, the direction remains the same.

4. What is the relationship between speed and velocity in circular motion?

In circular motion, the speed of the object remains constant, but the velocity changes as the direction of motion changes. This is because velocity is a vector quantity that takes into account both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

5. Are there any real-life examples of circular motion?

Yes, there are many examples of circular motion in everyday life. Some examples include the movement of a Ferris wheel, the Earth's rotation around the sun, and a spinning top. Circular motion is also seen in sports such as ice skating, figure skating, and discus throwing.