What is the Significance of 4-Velocity in Special Relativity?

• Thread starter DiracPool
  • Start date
In summary, the 4-velocity is the unit tangent vector to an object's worldline, and its components represent the time dilation factor and the 3 velocity times the time dilation factor. When an object is moving relative to a rest frame, its 4-velocity will have a larger value in both the time and velocity coordinates, indicating a greater time dilation and velocity. This information can be useful in understanding an object's motion and its relationship to a rest frame.
DiracPool
I’m a bit confused about what the 4-velocity is actually portraying? I think I understand the 4-vector pretty well, but the 4-velocity has me squinting.

It seems as though the idea is that we take the derivative of the 4-vector with respect to the proper time in order to yield the 4-velocity.

This basically gives us a 4-velocity, U = [cdt/(d-tau), dx/(d-tau)] = (gamma)(c, dx/dt) = 1/(√1-v^2/c^2)(c, v).

Ok, I get that, but now we have two velocity terms here, one outside the vector bracket in the gamma expression, and one inside the vector bracket, each of which seem to depend on the other. Basically, if an object is not moving relative to the rest, or proper time frame, all of its vector component is entirely in the time domain/coordinate, and that value is a constant, c. That’s easy to see. But what happens when an object moves relative to that rest frame? How do we read what the 4-velocity is in this instance, and what is it telling us? What does it signify?

For example, if an object is moving at .87c, then we have a gamma of 2 which basically doubles the velocity vector dx/dt inside the brackets to yield a value for the 4-velocity, U. Plus, it also looks as though you are doubling the value of the vector in the time dimension, making that 2c. Is this right? An object moving at .87c relative to a rest frame yields a 4-velocity that is 2c in the time coordinate and 2 times .87c in the velocity coordinate? What does that mean? What is that supposed to tell us or be useful for? Or am I reading this all wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
DiracPool said:
But what happens when an object moves relative to that rest frame? How do we read what the 4-velocity is in this instance, and what is it telling us? What does it signify?
The best way to think of what it signifies is to think geometrically. Geometrically, the 4-velocity is just the unit tangent vector to the worldline.

DiracPool said:
For example, if an object is moving at .87c, then we have a gamma of 2 which basically doubles the velocity vector dx/dt inside the brackets to yield a value for the 4-velocity, U. Plus, it also looks as though you are doubling the value of the vector in the time dimension, making that 2c. Is this right? An object moving at .87c relative to a rest frame yields a 4-velocity that is 2c in the time coordinate and 2 times .87c in the velocity coordinate? What does that mean? What is that supposed to tell us or be useful for? Or am I reading this all wrong?
Yes, that is correct. The components of the 4 velocity are not limited to <c.

The components have the meaning that you mentioned above. The timelike component is the time dilation factor and the spacelike components are the 3 velocity times the time dilation factor.

The vector as a whole has the geometric meaning I mentioned, it is the unit tangent vector.

What is the 4-velocity?

The 4-velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction in a four-dimensional space-time, taking into account both its spatial and temporal components. It is often denoted as u and is defined as the derivative of an object's position with respect to its proper time.

How is the 4-velocity calculated?

The 4-velocity can be calculated by taking the derivative of an object's position vector with respect to its proper time. This can be expressed mathematically as u = dx/dτ, where x is the position vector and τ is the proper time.

What are the units of the 4-velocity?

The units of the 4-velocity depend on the units used for position and time. If position is measured in meters and time in seconds, then the 4-velocity will have units of meters per second. However, if different units are used, the units of the 4-velocity will change accordingly.

How does the 4-velocity relate to special relativity?

The concept of 4-velocity is a fundamental aspect of special relativity, which describes the relationship between space and time. The 4-velocity takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction, and is crucial in understanding the effects of high speeds on objects in space-time.

What is the significance of the 4-velocity in physics?

The 4-velocity is a fundamental concept in physics and is used in many areas of study, such as special relativity, general relativity, and quantum mechanics. It allows for a precise and comprehensive understanding of an object's motion in space-time, and is essential in many calculations and theories in modern physics.