Questions on the "practical man" series

• Other
  • Thread starter eq66
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, Greg recommends three books, "Mathematics for the Practical Man," "Trigonometry for the Practical Man," and "Calculus for the Practical Man." They come in different versions, with different costs, and different release dates. He would like to know if any newer or more recent books exist that fit this description.
eq66
Hello !

First post here, I've read this forum for a while and now I've decided to join in :)

I now have a little more free time to cultivate my personal interests, I'm lookign forward to exploring and learning a bit more on how things work, I've always had a deep interest in all scientific topics, but due to work and family no extra time was availble until now, things are changed a bit and I want to get a little bit deeper in my understanding of things.

I need a help for buying some books, ( I saw there is a little discount in a post that also supports this forum and i'll be glad to help).
I'm a bit confused right now and I really need to dust off my math and (re)start from the basics, I'm interested in the "practical man" series, and if I'm not wrong they are also available as the "practical worker" series now.

So today I went on amazon and a lot of books came out from the search.

I'm interested at the moment in these 3 : (guess who suggested these books :smile:)

- mathematics for the practical man
- trigonometry for the practical man
- calculus for the practical man

They come in different versions, with different costs and release dates, I need a help on choosing the "right" or at least the most updated ones, and I was wondering if these come in a : 3 book in one "kindathing", but getting the 3 separately would be fine anyway.

I know that those books are available via pdf and/or kindle, pub and whatever format, but I'm a bit old fashined on reading, and I really like the printed books, I like them really more than electronics devices. ( I try to get them used so no trees would be harmed)

I also want to ask if there are any newer or more recent books on these topics that have this "practical" approach and can help me out in self study.

Any help on which ones are to get would be really apreciated, and please forgive any english errors

Thank You very Much

Have a great science day !

eq66

Physics news on Phys.org
I am familiar with Mathematics for the practical man. Despite the humble title, I found it deeper than calculus and trigonometry for the practical man. It introduces math that is hard to pigeon hole into most school curricula. This is important math that some math majors in the universities are unfamiliar with (these days). Mathematics is the best one for math you will not see in high school or first year college

Hi !

Thank You for the tip, so it's seems something really good to (re)start again with.

If anyone has other books on the subject to advise please do

Cheers !
Eq66

1. What is the "practical man" series about?

The "practical man" series is a collection of articles and discussions that explore the concept of practicality and its role in our daily lives. It examines the characteristics and behaviors of a practical person and how they contribute to their success and happiness.

2. Who is considered a "practical man"?

A "practical man" is someone who is able to balance theory with action, and has the ability to make efficient and effective decisions in various situations. They are often described as logical, resourceful, and adaptable.

3. How can one become a more practical person?

Becoming a more practical person involves developing critical thinking skills, being open to new ideas and perspectives, and being self-aware of one's strengths and weaknesses. It also involves being proactive and constantly seeking ways to improve and optimize processes.

4. What are the benefits of being a practical person?

Being a practical person can lead to better problem-solving abilities, improved decision-making skills, and increased efficiency in tasks and goals. It can also lead to a more balanced and fulfilling life as one is able to navigate challenges and obstacles effectively.

5. How does practicality relate to scientific research?

Practicality is an important factor in scientific research as it helps researchers determine the most effective and efficient methods to conduct experiments and analyze data. It also involves being able to apply research findings to real-world situations and address practical problems and needs.