1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Questions on the "practical man" series

1. Sep 21, 2015 #1
    Hello !

First post here, I've read this forum for a while and now I've decided to join in :)

I now have a little more free time to cultivate my personal interests, I'm lookign forward to exploring and learning a bit more on how things work, I've always had a deep interest in all scientific topics, but due to work and family no extra time was availble until now, things are changed a bit and I want to get a little bit deeper in my understanding of things.

I need a help for buying some books, ( I saw there is a little discount in a post that also supports this forum and i'll be glad to help).
    I'm a bit confused right now and I really need to dust off my math and (re)start from the basics, I'm interested in the "practical man" series, and if I'm not wrong they are also available as the "practical worker" series now.

So today I went on amazon and a lot of books came out from the search.

I'm interested at the moment in these 3 : (guess who suggested these books :smile:)

- mathematics for the practical man
    - trigonometry for the practical man
    - calculus for the practical man

They come in different versions, with different costs and release dates, I need a help on choosing the "right" or at least the most updated ones, and I was wondering if these come in a : 3 book in one "kindathing", but getting the 3 separately would be fine anyway.

I know that those books are available via pdf and/or kindle, pub and whatever format, but I'm a bit old fashined on reading, and I really like the printed books, I like them really more than electronics devices. ( I try to get them used so no trees would be harmed)

I also want to ask if there are any newer or more recent books on these topics that have this "practical" approach and can help me out in self study.

Any help on which ones are to get would be really apreciated, and please forgive any english errors

Thank You very Much

Have a great science day !

eq66

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2015 #2
    Welcome to PF! I fixed your title to make it a little more specific. Maybe @micromass has some advice.

4. Sep 24, 2015 #3
  5. Sep 24, 2015 #4
    I am familiar with Mathematics for the practical man. Despite the humble title, I found it deeper than calculus and trigonometry for the practical man. It introduces math that is hard to pigeon hole into most school curricula. This is important math that some math majors in the universities are unfamiliar with (these days). Mathematics is the best one for math you will not see in high school or first year college

6. Sep 27, 2015 #5
    Hi !

Thank You for the tip, so it's seems something really good to (re)start again with.

If anyone has other books on the subject to advise please do

Cheers !
    Eq66

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted