Quetzalcoatlus the 500 pound flying bird?

In summary, Quetzalcoatlus is a prehistoric bird with a wingspan of 35 feet or more and weighing up to 500 pounds. Its flight capabilities have been a subject of debate among scientists, with some arguing that it was too heavy to fly while others believe it was capable of long-range, extended flight. Recent studies suggest that it may have used a combination of powered and soaring flight to cover distances of up to 19,000 km. Its flight abilities are attributed to its advanced anatomy and complex lightweight structures, making it a remarkable creature in the world of flight.
Apple_Mango
Quetzalcoatlus is a prehisotric bird that can weigh up to 500 pounds. I am so shocked how a bird weighing up to 500 pounds can fly. How is this possible? Wouldn't the bird be to heavy to fly? Does the bird defy the laws of physics?

Biology news on Phys.org
Here's an article on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quetzalcoatlus

I don't see why you think that amazing for a 500lb bird to fly look at our passenger jets today.

One thing is that it had a very large wingspan of 35 ft or more.

The nature of flight in Quetzalcoatlus and other giant azhdarchids was poorly understood until serious biomechanical studies were conducted in the 21st century. One early (1984) experiment by Paul MacCready used practical aerodynamics to test the flight of Quetzalcoatlus. MacCready constructed a model flying machine or ornithopter with a simple computer functioning as an autopilot. The model successfully flew with a combination of soaring and wing flapping;[17] however, the model was half scale based on a then-current weight estimate of around 80 kg (180 lb), far lower than more modern estimates of over 200 kg (440 lb).[18] The method of flight in these pterosaurs depends largely on weight, which has been controversial, and widely differing masses have been favored by different scientists. Some researchers have suggested that these animals employed slow, soaring flight, while others have concluded that their flight was fast and dynamic.[4] In 2010, Donald Henderson argued that the mass of Q. northropi had been underestimated, even the highest estimates, and that it was too massive to have achieved powered flight. He estimated it in his 2010 paper as 540 kg (1,190 lb). Henderson argued that it may have been flightless.[18]

Likes Evo
Apple_Mango said:
Quetzalcoatlus is a prehisotric bird that can weigh up to 500 pounds. I am so shocked how a bird weighing up to 500 pounds can fly. How is this possible? Wouldn't the bird be to heavy to fly? Does the bird defy the laws of physics?
You should learn to post what you've read, a link at least when you ask such questions. Also a quick search wouldn't hurt.

Quetzalcoatlus northropi /kɛtsəlkoʊˈætləs/ is an azhdarchid pterosaur known from the Late Cretaceous of North America (Maastrichtian stage) and one of the largest known flying animals of all time. It is a member of the family Azhdarchidae, a family of advanced toothless pterosaurs with unusually long, stiffened necks. Its name comes from the Mesoamerican feathered serpent god, Quetzalcoatl.

The nature of flight in Quetzalcoatlus and other giant azhdarchids was poorly understood until serious biomechanical studies were conducted in the 21st century. One early (1984) experiment by Paul MacCready used practical aerodynamics to test the flight of Quetzalcoatlus. MacCready constructed a model flying machine or ornithopter with a simple computer functioning as an autopilot. The model successfully flew with a combination of soaring and wing flapping;[17] however, the model was half scale based on a then-current weight estimate of around 80 kg (180 lb), far lower than more modern estimates of over 200 kg (440 lb).[18] The method of flight in these pterosaurs depends largely on weight, which has been controversial, and widely differing masses have been favored by different scientists. Some researchers have suggested that these animals employed slow, soaringflight, while others have concluded that their flight was fast and dynamic.[4] In 2010, Donald Henderson argued that the mass of Q. northropi had been underestimated, even the highest estimates, and that it was too massive to have achieved powered flight. He estimated it in his 2010 paper as 540 kg (1,190 lb). Henderson argued that it may have been flightless.[18]

220px-QuetzalcoatlusROM.jpg

Reconstructed skeleton
However, most other flight capability estimates have disagreed with Henderson's research, suggesting instead an animal superbly adapted to long-range, extended flight. In 2010, Mike Habib, a professor of biomechanics at Chatham University, and Mark Witton, a British paleontologist, undertook further investigation into the claims of flightlessness in large pterosaurs. After factoring wingspan, body weight, and aerodynamics, computer modelling led the two researchers to conclude that Q. northropi was capable of flight up to 130 km/h (80 mph) for 7 to 10 days at altitudes of 4,600 m (15,000 ft). Habib further suggested a maximum flight range of 13,000–19,000 km (8,000–12,000 mi) for Q. northropi.[19] Henderson's work was also further criticized by Witton and Habib in another study, who pointed out that although Henderson used excellent mass estimations, they were based on outdated pterosaur models, which caused Henderson's mass estimations to be more than double what Habib used in his estimations, and that anatomical study of Q. northropi and other large pterosaur forelimbs show a higher degree of robustness than would be expected if they were purely quadrupedal.[6] This study proposed that large pterosaurs most likely utilized a short burst of powered flight in order to then transition to thermal soaring.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quetzalcoatlus#Flight

Attachments

• 220px-QuetzalcoatlusROM.jpg
    220px-QuetzalcoatlusROM.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 746
Likes jedishrfu
jedishrfu said:
Here's an article on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quetzalcoatlus

I don't see why you think that amazing for a 500lb bird to fly look at our passenger jets today.

One thing is that it had a very large wingspan of 35 ft or more.
I had always assume birds had to be light to fly. I wasn't sure such an heavy animal can fly. Airplanes on the other hand are the product of advance technology.

Well this is quite disturbing! For some reason I find the terror birds scarier than the big dinos.

Apple_Mango said:
I had always assume birds had to be light to fly. I wasn't sure such an heavy animal can fly. Airplanes on the other hand are the product of advance technology.
The structures of birds, that evolved over millions of years, are way more complex than the "advanced technology" of modern airplanes.
They:
  • power their flight and other functions off of a mixture of organic compounds (food) they eat rather than some purified fuel an industry produces and someone gives to them
  • have a miniaturized computer (their brain) to direct and control their movements
  • are made of complex lightweight materials they make themselves from the food they eat
  • recreate (manufacture) themselves each new generation from a single cells
I'll be more impressed with modern advanced technology when they can do things more like birds.

Likes nnunn, Evo, jim mcnamara and 1 other person
Apple_Mango said:

Your comment reminds me of an elementary school science/physics question: Which is heavier, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead.

A hummingbird can weigh in at less than 1/10 ounce, an adult great white pelican weighs about 33 pounds - over 5,000 times as much. Its all relative and design accounts for more when it comes to flying than weight. No penguin (regardless of weight) will ever achieve powered flight.

1. What is Quetzalcoatlus?

Quetzalcoatlus is a genus of pterosaur, or flying reptile, that lived during the Late Cretaceous period, approximately 68 to 66 million years ago. It is considered one of the largest flying animals to have ever existed.

2. How big was Quetzalcoatlus?

Quetzalcoatlus had a wingspan of up to 36 feet and could weigh up to 500 pounds. Its long neck and elongated beak added to its impressive size.

3. How did Quetzalcoatlus fly?

Quetzalcoatlus had a unique flight mechanism. It likely used strong, flapping movements of its wings to take off and gain altitude, but once in the air, it probably used thermal currents to soar and glide for long distances.

4. What did Quetzalcoatlus eat?

Based on its physical features and the environment it lived in, it is believed that Quetzalcoatlus was a carnivorous predator. Its long, pointed beak and sharp teeth were well-suited for catching and eating fish, small animals, and possibly even other pterosaurs.

5. What caused the extinction of Quetzalcoatlus?

The exact cause of Quetzalcoatlus's extinction is still unknown. However, it is believed that the decline in their food sources, changes in climate, and competition with other species may have played a role in their eventual extinction along with the rest of the dinosaurs and pterosaurs at the end of the Cretaceous period.