Understanding the Meaning of 'y as a Function of x' | Quick & Easy Question

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
In summary, the phrase "y as a function of x" means that the value of y is dependent on the value of x, with x being the independent variable. To be a function, each value of y must have only one corresponding value for x. In the given problem, "f(x)=2x" represents y as a function of x and "u = 2x" is a re-written version. There is also a statement about y' and cu' that needs to be proven, as discussed in the linked conversation.
Miike012

Homework Statement

What exactly does it mean when the phrase " y as a function of x" mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
The value of y depends on the value of x. x is an independent variable and you may choose values for x to use in an expression. The result of using each of the acceptable values of x will produce a resulting value for y.

For an expression to be a function, each value of y can have ONE value for x. No two y values have the same x value.

I have this problem in my book that says...
f(x)=2x ( does f(x) mean y as a function of x?)
Then it says
Suppose u is a function of x
How would I re-write the problem?

Would I just write it as...
u = 2x?

Maybe, but once again you're being guilty of NOT stating the entire problem VERBATIM.
Miike012 said:
I have this problem in my book that says...
f(x)=2x
Then it says
Suppose u is a function of x
Is "f(x)=2x" and "Suppose u is a function of x" part of the same problem? And what does the rest of the problem say?

It says...
Suppose that u is a function of x and
y = cu
then what we believe is that y' = cu'

Then it asks me to prove that
y' = cu' is correct.

Does anyone know?

What is a "quick and easy question"?

A "quick and easy question" refers to a question that can be answered quickly and with minimal effort. It is typically a simple question that does not require extensive research or analysis.

Why are "quick and easy questions" important in science?

"Quick and easy questions" are important in science because they allow scientists to gather basic information and data quickly, which can then be used as a foundation for more complex research and experiments.

What types of questions are considered "quick and easy" in science?

Examples of "quick and easy" questions in science include questions about basic scientific concepts, definitions, and facts. They can also include questions that can be answered with a simple experiment or observation.

Can "quick and easy questions" lead to important discoveries?

Yes, "quick and easy questions" can lead to important discoveries. Sometimes, what may seem like a simple question can uncover new information or ideas that can further scientific understanding and advancements.

How can scientists ensure the accuracy of answers to "quick and easy questions"?

Scientists can ensure the accuracy of answers to "quick and easy questions" by using reliable sources, conducting thorough research, and verifying information through multiple experiments or studies.