What is the limit of a complex fraction without using L'Hopital's rule?

• Thread starter Bipolarity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, BiPHint was not able to solve the homework problem. He tried multiplying by conjugates, but it did not work. He then tried different approaches and found that LCKurtz's substitution changed the problem to one that could be solved with the help of factorization.
Bipolarity

Homework Statement

Have been working 5 hours straight today. Mind is a bit fuzzy, don't know what to do here.

[tex] \lim_{x→1}\frac{x^{1/3}-1}{\sqrt{x}-1} [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I trying multiplying by conjugates. Did not work. Also, no L'Hopital allowed.
I can't believe it because I solved problems much harder than this today, yet this problem is stopping me. Sigh. Any ideas, guys?

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
Bipolarity said:
I trying multiplying by conjugates. Did not work.

Can you show us what you did?

Hint: Let ##x=u^6##.

LCKurtz said:

Ah I see. But why are we allowed to change variables in limits?

BiP

LCKurtz said:

Bipolarity said:

BiP

Because I give you permission :uhh:

Seriously, that is a good question. It depends on what theorems you have or are allowed to use. Most first year calculus texts proceed pretty informally with that subject. If you want to see some of the technical details, one place to look is here:

http://www.swarthmore.edu/NatSci/smaurer1/Math18H/inv_lim.pdf

but it might be more than you want to know, depending on your level.

LCKurtz said:

Bipolarity said:

BiP
You can, of course, always replace a term with something that is equal to it. That's a basic concept of arithmetic as when we replace "1+ 1" with "2".

I suppose you see that LCKurtz's suggested substitution changes your problem to [itex](u^2- 1)/(u^3- 1)[/itex] and you can factor u- 1 out of each term.

You could do the same thing without actually substituting. You know that [itex]u^3- 1= (u- 1)(u^2+ u+ 1)[/itex] which is the same as saying that [itex]x- 1= (x^{1/3}- 1)(x^{2/3}+ x^{1/3}+ 1)[/itex] and that [itex]u^2- 1= (u- 1)(u+ 1)[/itex] which is the same as saying that [itex]x-1= (x^{1/2}- 1)(x^{1/2}+ 1)[/itex].

So you can multiply numerator and denominator of [itex](x^{1/3}- 1)/(x^{1/2}- 1)[/itex] by both [itex]x^{2/3}+ x^{1/3}+ 1[/itex] and [itex]x^{1/2}+ 1[/itex] to get
[tex]\frac{x- 1}{x- 1}\frac{x^{1/2}+ 1}{x^{2/3}+ x^{1/2}+ 1}[/tex]
and, of course, cancel the "x- 1" terms before taking the limit.

HallsofIvy said:
You can, of course, always replace a term with something that is equal to it. That's a basic concept of arithmetic as when we replace "1+ 1" with "2".

I suppose you see that LCKurtz's suggested substitution changes your problem to [itex](u^2- 1)/(u^3- 1)[/itex] and you can factor u- 1 out of each term.

You could do the same thing without actually substituting. You know that [itex]u^3- 1= (u- 1)(u^2+ u+ 1)[/itex] which is the same as saying that [itex]x- 1= (x^{1/3}- 1)(x^{2/3}+ x^{1/3}+ 1)[/itex] and that [itex]u^2- 1= (u- 1)(u+ 1)[/itex] which is the same as saying that [itex]x-1= (x^{1/2}- 1)(x^{1/2}+ 1)[/itex].

So you can multiply numerator and denominator of [itex](x^{1/3}- 1)/(x^{1/2}- 1)[/itex] by both [itex]x^{2/3}+ x^{1/3}+ 1[/itex] and [itex]x^{1/2}+ 1[/itex] to get
[tex]\frac{x- 1}{x- 1}\frac{x^{1/2}+ 1}{x^{2/3}+ x^{1/2}+ 1}[/tex]
and, of course, cancel the "x- 1" terms before taking the limit.

Thank you Ivy! Indeed, I have always believed that any probem that can be solved with a substitution can also be solved without the substitution, since the substitution serves merely to simplify the nomenclature or intuition of the problem.

But it still seems relevant that the change of variables in limits is a dubious issue. I wonder why it is not usually addressed rigorously in standard calculus/analysis texts?

BiP

1. What is a quick limit problem?

A quick limit problem is a type of math problem in which the limit of a function is to be determined at a specific point. It can be solved using a variety of techniques, such as direct substitution or L'Hopital's rule.

2. How do I solve a quick limit problem?

To solve a quick limit problem, you can use a variety of techniques depending on the complexity of the problem. Some common techniques include direct substitution, factoring, and using L'Hopital's rule. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and choose the most appropriate method for solving it.

3. What is direct substitution?

Direct substitution is a method for evaluating limits by plugging in the value of the variable directly into the function. It is typically used when the function is continuous at the point in question.

4. When should I use L'Hopital's rule?

L'Hopital's rule is a method for solving limits of indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It is used when direct substitution does not work, and involves taking the derivative of the numerator and denominator separately and then evaluating the limit again.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving quick limit problems?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when solving quick limit problems include forgetting to check if the function is continuous at the point, using the wrong method to solve the limit, and making errors in algebraic simplification. It is important to carefully check your work and double check the answer to ensure accuracy.