Solving for Momentum Comparison: Masses and Kinetic Energy in Motion

• Thread starter mcleodj2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the question is asking which object has a greater magnitude of momentum, given the masses and equal kinetic energy. To solve for this, we can equate the kinetic energies and use the relationship between kinetic energy and momentum to get a second equation. Then, we can solve for one variable and compare the two momentums to determine the ratio.
mcleodj2

Homework Statement

I'm given the masses of two objects, m1 and m2. The kinetic energy K is equal in both objects. It wants to know which object has the greater magnitude of momentum.

Homework Equations

K = 1/2mv^2 (Kinetic Energy)
p = mv (Momentum)
K = p^2/2m (K in terms of p)

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, I know that I have two variables to solve for before I can answer the question. I need to find v1 and v2. Finding one of those in terms of the other is easy, but that only leaves me with one equation and two variables. I can't for the life of me remember what relationship I can use to give me a second equation and my book isn't much help at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you just equate the two

[tex]K_1 = K_2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{p_{1}^2}{2m_1}=\frac{p_{2}^2}{2m_2}[/tex]

Since you know the masses you just solve for one and see which one is greater. If p1^2=2p2^2 then p1 is obviously greater. :) You could take the square root too if you really wanted to get the right scale factor between the momentums.

Wow, do I feel stupid. You're right. I don't need an answer at all, just a ratio. I think I was blinded by a collision example done in class where the teacher did some sort of long problem where the solution wasn't immediately obvious. Thanks, Mindscrape.

Related to Solving for Momentum Comparison: Masses and Kinetic Energy in Motion

What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

How is momentum measured?

Momentum is measured in units of kg*m/s or newton-seconds. This reflects the fact that momentum is a product of mass and velocity, two fundamental physical quantities.

What is the difference between momentum and velocity?

Velocity is a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's position, while momentum is a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's motion. In other words, velocity describes how fast and in what direction an object is moving, while momentum describes how difficult it is to stop an object's motion.

Can momentum be negative?

Yes, momentum can be negative. This occurs when an object has a negative velocity, meaning it is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen reference frame. In this case, the direction of the momentum vector will also be negative.

Why is momentum important in physics?

Momentum is important in physics because it is a conserved quantity. This means that in a closed system, the total momentum before an event is equal to the total momentum after the event. This principle is used to explain and predict the motion of objects in collisions and interactions.