Understanding Relativity: A Quick Overview of General and Special Relativity

• Thread starter TheShapeOfTime
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, special relativity is based on two postulates, the invariance of the Lorentz interval for all observers and the constancy of the speed of light. It suggests that only the Lorentz interval is invariant, while distance and time are not. General relativity, on the other hand, models gravity as a curvature of space-time and shows that space-time is not Euclidean. Both theories are not proven, but are considered valid as they accurately explain all known experiments. They are also believed to be incomplete and efforts are being made to merge them with quantum mechanics.
TheShapeOfTime
Can anyone give me a quick overview of relativity, general relativity and special relativity? What does general and special relativity prove?

Physics news on Phys.org
SR has two postulates:
-The laws of the universe are the same regardless of your intertial frame of reference.
-The speed of light is constant.

GR is Einstein's gravity, modeling gravity as a curvature of space-time.

The implications of both are pretty broad.

TheShapeOfTime said:
Can anyone give me a quick overview of relativity, general relativity and special relativity? What does general and special relativity prove?

Special relativity can be understood as the invariance of the Lorentz interval for all observers. Special relativity suggests that as the only quantity that is invariant for all observers, the Lorentz interval deserves further study. In special relativity, distance/space, is not invariant, differently moving observers measure objects as having different lengths. Time is also not an invariant quantity, clocks moving along different paths will not agree when they meet up. Only the Lorentz interval is invariant.

General relativity probes the geometry of the Lorentz interval, and finds that it is not Euclidian. Space-time is a non-Euclidian manifold, it can be regarded as being "curved", much as the surface of the Earth.

And I can't help mentioning that neither theory proves anything -- they are models which can use to predict what an experiment will do. If a model accurately explains all known experiments (SR & GR do), then a model is considered valid. It is always possible, however, that there will one day be an experiment which is not adequately explained by the theories, and the theories will be shown to be wrong in at least some situations.

We already know GR must be "wrong" in the subatomic domain, because its results are incompatible with those of quantum mechanics. Theories like string theory and loop quantum gravity aim to merge quantum mechanics and general relativity into a single theory with greater predictive power than either theory alone.

- Warren

chroot said:
We already know GR must be "wrong" in the subatomic domain, because its results are incompatible with those of quantum mechanics.

Or we counld say we already know quantum theory is incorrect because its results are incompatible with GR!

Thanks for all your relies! I think I'm beginning to understand it better now.

TheShapeOfTime said:
Thanks for all your relies! I think I'm beginning to understand it better now.
Great. When you will start to think that you don't understand it anymore that means you have started to understand a bit of GR.

blue

1. What is the difference between general and special relativity?

Special relativity deals with the behavior of objects in uniform motion and the concept of simultaneity, while general relativity includes the effects of gravity and acceleration on the behavior of objects.

2. How did Einstein come up with the theory of relativity?

Einstein developed the theory of relativity by building upon the work of other scientists and conducting thought experiments to understand the behavior of light and the nature of space and time.

3. Can you explain the concept of time dilation in relativity?

Time dilation is the phenomenon where time appears to move slower for objects in motion compared to stationary objects. This is a result of the speed of light being constant and the concept of spacetime in relativity.

4. What is the significance of E=mc2 in relativity?

E=mc2 is the famous equation derived from relativity that shows the equivalence between mass and energy. It has been used to explain nuclear reactions and is a cornerstone of modern physics.

5. How has the theory of relativity been proven or tested?

The theory of relativity has been tested and confirmed through numerous experiments and observations, including the bending of starlight by massive objects and the precise measurement of time dilation in high-speed particles.