Quick probability question

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of picking a unique marble from a jar of 100 marbles, which is 1/100 or 1%. They then explore the probability of picking that same unique marble again after picking a handful of 16 marbles, which is 0% if the unique marble is not replaced and 13.76% if it is replaced. This type of probability is known as "sampling with replacement". The conversation ends with the speaker expressing their confusion and asking for clarification.
hxtasy
Let's say you have 100 marbles in a jar, one of them is unique. The chances of that "one" being picked would be 1/100 or 1%.

Now let's say you picked a handful of marbles, 16 at a time, what would be the probability that that unique "one" would get picked again?

My guess is 100/16 = 6.25, and then 1/6.25 or 16%. Is this correct?

What would the technical term for this type of grouping probability be?

thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
hxtasy said:
Let's say you have 100 marbles in a jar, one of them is unique. The chances of that "one" being picked would be 1/100 or 1%.

Now let's say you picked a handful of marbles, 16 at a time, what would be the probability that that unique "one" would get picked again?
Well, if you kept the unique one in your hand after picking it the first time, the probability is 0! So I am going to assume that the "unique" marble has been replaced. This is called "sampling with replacement".

My guess is 100/16 = 6.25, and then 1/6.25 or 16%. Is this correct?
Strange way to do that calculation. Why not just 16/100?

What would the technical term for this type of grouping probability be?

thanks!
The probability that specific marble will be picked on anyone trial is 1/100 and the probability that some other marble will be picked in 99/100. If you pick 16 marbles, the probability that specific marble will be a specific one (if you set all 16 in a row, the probability is will be, say, the 9th marble in the row) will be (1/100)(99/100)15= 9915/10016. But there are 16 different such positions so the probability the unique marble will be somewhere in that group of 16 is (16)(9915/10016= 0.1376 or about 13.76%.

Hey HallsofIvy thank you for the reply. I have never done one thing with probabilities before. As i read more about them online most examples are pretty simple but some I don't understand. I guess I was thinking about it in a weird direction, either way I am going to have to look at that last paragraph you wrote it is slightly confusing.

thanks

1. What is a quick probability question?

A quick probability question is a question that involves calculating the likelihood of an event or outcome occurring based on a set of possible outcomes.

2. How do you calculate probability?

To calculate probability, you divide the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This will give you a decimal or fraction that represents the likelihood of the event occurring.

3. Can probability be greater than 1?

No, probability cannot be greater than 1. A probability of 1 means that the event is certain to occur, while a probability of 0 means that the event will not occur at all.

4. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual results from experiments or observations.

5. How is probability used in real life?

Probability is used in real life to make predictions and informed decisions. It is used in fields such as statistics, finance, and science to analyze data and make projections about future outcomes.