Probability of a particular item not being assigned

• MHB
  • Thread starter ATroelstein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary: It should be $(1 - \frac{N}{K - (M-1)})$ instead of $(1 - \frac{N}{K - M})$. This is because in the last probability term, we are selecting from a set of $K - (M-1)$ marbles, not $K - M$ marbles. Therefore, the correct probability would be:$(1 - \frac{N}{K}) * (1 - \frac{N}{K - 1}) * (1 - \frac{N}{K - 2}) * ... * (1 - \frac{N}{K - (M-1)})$
ATroelstein
Lets say I have M cups and K marbles. All these marbles are blue, except for N of them that are green. At random, I will select a marble and drop it in a cup. The marble will not be returned to the original set of marbles before the next marble is selected. I would like to know the probability that these M cups don't have any of the N green marbles after I drop a marble into each cup. For this, I know the probability that the first cup does get a green marble is $\frac{N}{K}$. Therefore the probability that the cup does not get a green marble is $1 - \frac{N}{K}$. The second cup now has a probability of $\frac{N}{K - 1}$ of getting a green marble, since we have one less marble to randomly select now, which gives if a probability of $1 - \frac{N}{K-1}$ of not having a green marble. Now if I put this all together, I would assume the probability that none of the M cups have a green marbles is the product of all these probabilities for each individual cup not having a green marble.

$(1 - \frac{N}{K}) * (1 - \frac{N}{K - 1}) * (1 - \frac{N}{K - 2}) * ... * (1 - \frac{N}{K - (M-1)})$

I have $K - (M-1)$ as the denominator in the last probability because for the Mth cup, $M - 1$ marbles have been removed from the original set of K marbles. My issue is, in the book I am looking at, it states the probability being

$(1 - \frac{N}{K}) * (1 - \frac{N}{K - 1}) * (1 - \frac{N}{K - 2}) * ... * (1 - \frac{N}{K - M})$

I'm confused as to why their last probability term is $(1 - \frac{N}{K - M})$ as to me it seems like this would be correct if we have $M + 1$ cups. Is there something that I'm missing about how this probability should be calculated? Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ATroelstein said:
Lets say I have M cups and K marbles. All these marbles are blue, except for N of them that are green. At random, I will select a marble and drop it in a cup. The marble will not be returned to the original set of marbles before the next marble is selected. I would like to know the probability that these M cups don't have any of the N green marbles after I drop a marble into each cup. For this, I know the probability that the first cup does get a green marble is $\frac{N}{K}$. Therefore the probability that the cup does not get a green marble is $1 - \frac{N}{K}$. The second cup now has a probability of $\frac{N}{K - 1}$ of getting a green marble, since we have one less marble to randomly select now, which gives if a probability of $1 - \frac{N}{K-1}$ of not having a green marble. Now if I put this all together, I would assume the probability that none of the M cups have a green marbles is the product of all these probabilities for each individual cup not having a green marble.

$(1 - \frac{N}{K}) * (1 - \frac{N}{K - 1}) * (1 - \frac{N}{K - 2}) * ... * (1 - \frac{N}{K - (M-1)})$

I have $K - (M-1)$ as the denominator in the last probability because for the Mth cup, $M - 1$ marbles have been removed from the original set of K marbles. My issue is, in the book I am looking at, it states the probability being

$(1 - \frac{N}{K}) * (1 - \frac{N}{K - 1}) * (1 - \frac{N}{K - 2}) * ... * (1 - \frac{N}{K - M})$

I'm confused as to why their last probability term is $(1 - \frac{N}{K - M})$ as to me it seems like this would be correct if we have $M + 1$ cups. Is there something that I'm missing about how this probability should be calculated? Thanks.
I think it's the book that is wrong, not you.

Related to Probability of a particular item not being assigned

1. What is the definition of probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of a particular event or outcome occurring. It is typically expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. What is the formula for calculating probability?

The formula for calculating probability is P(A) = n(A)/n(S), where P(A) is the probability of event A, n(A) is the number of outcomes favorable to event A, and n(S) is the total number of possible outcomes.

3. How is the probability of a particular item not being assigned calculated?

The probability of a particular item not being assigned is calculated by subtracting the probability of the item being assigned from 1. This can be expressed as P(not assigned) = 1 - P(assigned).

4. What factors can affect the probability of a particular item not being assigned?

The probability of a particular item not being assigned can be affected by various factors such as the number of available items, the number of people or items being assigned, and any constraints or preferences in the assignment process.

5. Can the probability of a particular item not being assigned be predicted with certainty?

No, the probability of a particular item not being assigned cannot be predicted with certainty as it depends on multiple variables and factors. However, it can be estimated using statistical methods and probability calculations.