1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick probability question.

1. Aug 24, 2005 #1
    my brother needs to know this but i'm in exam block right now and can only think of the physics im studying this term. i cant remember how to figure this out anymore i just know i'll have to use nCr and nPr.
    heres the question:
    how do i find the probability of getting tossing 3 heads in a row out of 64 tosses?

thanks

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2005 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Suppose you had one toss only. What is the prob. of a head?

Suppose two tosses. What is the prob. of 2 heads?

Suppose 3 tosses. What is the prob. of 3 heads?

Now, the hard one: in 4 tosses, what is the prob. of one head only? The prob. of 2 heads (regardless of their order)?

The really difficult ones: with 4 tosses, what is the prob. of 2 heads in a row? 3 heads in a row?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  4. Aug 24, 2005 #3
    1st find the desired sample space ie: how many ways are there to have 3 heads in a row out of 64 tosses? don't rush to nCr and nPr just now, think about the possibilities.
    then find the total number of possibilities and use the definition a probability.

5. Aug 24, 2005 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To find the sample space you might start from just one toss, then 2 tosses, then 3, 4, ... etc. and make a list of all possible outcomes for each case.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?