Quick question about current density

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different methods for finding the area in a problem involving current density. One method uses the surface area of the end of the cable while the other uses the surface area across the outside of the entire cable. The conversation also clarifies that ∫2pir dr is actually the area of the end of the inner cable and explains the reasoning behind using this method.
hahaha158

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

J=I/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I was just looking at the solution for this, and I was confused because they seemed to use different ways of finding the area. For finding J2, they took the surface area of the end of the cable, pi(r3^2-r2^2), but for finding J2, they took the area to be ∫2pir dr, which i think is the surface area along the inner cable. Why is one using the surface area of the end, and one using the surface area across the outside of an entire cable"?

thanks for any help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hahaha158 said:
... but for finding J2, they took the area to be ∫2pir dr, which i think is the surface area along the inner cable.

∫2pir dr is actually the area of the end of the inner cable, ##\pi##R12, as you can see by carrying out the integral from 0 to R1. The integral is summing the areas of concentric rings that fill up the entire area. This is necessary since the current density is different for each ring.

Attachments

• Concentric rings.jpg
    Concentric rings.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 918

1. What is current density?

Current density is a measure of the flow of electric current through a given area. It is calculated by dividing the current by the cross-sectional area through which it is flowing.

2. How is current density related to current flow?

Current density is directly proportional to the current flowing through a given area. This means that as the current increases, the current density also increases.

3. What are the units of current density?

The SI unit for current density is amperes per square meter (A/m^2). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as amperes per square centimeter (A/cm^2) or amperes per square millimeter (A/mm^2).

4. What factors affect current density?

The main factors that affect current density are the amount of current flowing through a given area, the material through which the current is flowing, and the temperature of the material. These factors can impact the resistance of the material and therefore affect the current density.

5. Why is current density an important concept in electricity?

Current density is an important concept in electricity because it helps us understand how current flows through different materials. It also allows us to calculate the amount of current that can safely flow through a given area without causing damage or overheating. Additionally, current density is used in the design and analysis of electrical circuits and devices.