What Angle and Normal Force Are Involved When Pulling a Suitcase?

In summary, a woman at an airport is towing her 20 kg suitcase at constant speed by pulling on a strap at an angle of (theta) above the horizontal. The strap exerts a horizontal force of 20 N and a vertical force of 29 N. The weight of the suitcase is 187 kg.
jlshoop
This may be very simple... but here is the question.

This is the question..

A woman at an airport is towing her 20.0 kg suitcase at constant speed by pulling on a strap at an angle of (theta) above the horizontal. She pulls on the strap with a 35.0 N force, and the friction force on the suitcase is 20.0 N. What angle does the strap make with the horizontal? What normal force does the ground exert on the suitcase?

I got the first part. The vertical component of the angle is 26 N. So if the suitcase is 20 kg and she is pulling vertically 26 N, shouldn't she be lifting the suitcase? how do i figure out the normal force which the ground exerts?

Physics news on Phys.org
jlshoop said:
So if the suitcase is 20 kg and she is pulling vertically 26 N, shouldn't she be lifting the suitcase?
What's the weight of the suitcase? (Don't confuse 20 kg with 20 N !)
how do i figure out the normal force which the ground exerts?
Use the fact that the vertical forces on the suitcase are in equilibrium.

Ok first of all draw a free body diagram. SINCE she is moving at CONSTANT velocity, a =0 that menas the X omponents of the force are equal

then [tex] 35 cos \theta = 20 [/tex]

there you have theta now

Now, for the vertical components

the bag is NOT moving up or down that means the forces up and down are equal

the fac that she pulls the bag at an angle means that there is a vertical component for her force that points upward. in any case

[tex] N + 35 sin \theta - mg = 0 [/tex]

do you understand why N is not mg??

If the suitcase is moving at constant speed, the horizontal forces acting upon it must be equal and opposite. If there's a 20N friction force opposing its motion, the strap must be exerting 20N of force in the direction of motion.

Draw a free-body diagram. Look at the triangle made by the strap's force, and its components. Solve for theta:

[tex]\cos \theta = \frac{20}{35}[/tex]

The horizontal component of the force is 20N. The vertical component of the force is not 26N.

- Warren

Warren- I typed the wrong thing... i meant 29 N for the vertical component, right?

another confusion i have is, is 20 kg the weight, or mass?

jlshoop said:
another confusion i have is, is 20 kg the weight, or mass?
The kilogram is a unit of mass. To obtain the weight, you must multiply the mass by the gravitational acceleration, 9.81 m/s^2, in accordance with F=ma.

- Warren

so the weight is 216

N = 216 - 29 = 187

BY GEORGE THINK I'VE GOT IT...

yeah?

Thanks very very very much Warren... you really truly rock.

So do stunner500 and Doc Al. :)

- Warren

I agree with that... didn't mean to sell anybody short on their physics talent :^)

Related to What Angle and Normal Force Are Involved When Pulling a Suitcase?

1. What is the definition of normal force?

The normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object that is in contact with it. It is always perpendicular to the surface and acts in the opposite direction of the force applied by the object.

2. How is normal force different from other types of forces?

Normal force is a contact force, meaning it only exists when two objects are in contact with each other. It is also always perpendicular to the surface, while other forces can act at various angles.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of normal force?

The magnitude of normal force depends on the weight of the object and the angle at which it is being held. It also depends on the surface it is in contact with, as different materials have different levels of resistance.

4. Can normal force be negative?

No, normal force cannot be negative. It always acts in the direction perpendicular to the surface, so it can only be positive or zero.

5. How is normal force related to Newton's Third Law of Motion?

According to Newton's Third Law, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that the normal force exerted by a surface on an object is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force the object exerts on the surface.