1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick question about notation (Linear Algebra)

1. Aug 5, 2008 #1
    [tex]p\in P_3(\mathbb{F})[/tex]

What does [tex]\overline{p(z)}[/tex] mean?

I would guess that it's related to the complex conjugate, but I'm not sure. For context, I'm dealing with an inner product space defined by [tex]\langle p,q\rangle=\intop_{0}^{1}p(z)\overline{q(z)}dz[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it's a complex conjugate.
  4. Aug 6, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

that's an "inner product" of complex valued functions. The reason for the complex conjugate is so that
    [tex]<f(z),f(z)>= \int_0^1 f(z)\overline{f(z)}dz[/tex]
    will be a non-negative real number.
  5. Aug 6, 2008 #4
    Inner Product Space Norm

Thanks for the help so far. I'm trying to find the norm for the this inner product. So far I have:

[tex]\Vert p\Vert=\sqrt{\left\langle p,p\right\rangle }=\sqrt{\intop_{0}^{1}p(z)\overline{p(z)}dz}=\sqrt{\intop_{0}^{1}|p(z)|^{2}dz}[/tex]

I also know that [tex]p(z)[/tex] can be denoted [tex]\sum_{i=0}^{n}a_{i}z^{i}[/tex] but I don't know how to connect the two beyond placing the sum within the absolute value.

Is there a way to simplify [tex]|\sum_{i=0}^{n}a_{i}z^{i}|^{2}[/tex]?
  6. Aug 6, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've already written the norm of the inner product. Do you want to write it in terms of the a_i's? Is P_3 third degree polynomials? Or second? Either way it's going to be kind of uselessly complicated. If it's second, e.g. write (a0+a1*z+a2*z^2) times the complex conjugate and integrate over the real variable z in [0,1].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?