Quick question about notation (Linear Algebra)

In summary, p\in P_3(\mathbb{F}) refers to a third degree polynomial in the field \mathbb{F}. The complex conjugate \overline{p(z)} is used in an inner product space defined by \langle p,q\rangle=\intop_{0}^{1}p(z)\overline{q(z)}dz, where the goal is to find the norm of this inner product. This can be written as \Vert p\Vert=\sqrt{\intop_{0}^{1}|p(z)|^{2}dz}, which can be simplified to |\sum_{i=0}^{n}a_{i}z^{i}|^{2} when p(z) is
calstudent
[tex]p\in P_3(\mathbb{F})[/tex]

What does [tex]\overline{p(z)}[/tex] mean?

I would guess that it's related to the complex conjugate, but I'm not sure. For context, I'm dealing with an inner product space defined by [tex]\langle p,q\rangle=\intop_{0}^{1}p(z)\overline{q(z)}dz[/tex]

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it's a complex conjugate.

that's an "inner product" of complex valued functions. The reason for the complex conjugate is so that
[tex]<f(z),f(z)>= \int_0^1 f(z)\overline{f(z)}dz[/tex]
will be a non-negative real number.

Inner Product Space Norm

Thanks for the help so far. I'm trying to find the norm for the this inner product. So far I have:

[tex]\Vert p\Vert=\sqrt{\left\langle p,p\right\rangle }=\sqrt{\intop_{0}^{1}p(z)\overline{p(z)}dz}=\sqrt{\intop_{0}^{1}|p(z)|^{2}dz}[/tex]

I also know that [tex]p(z)[/tex] can be denoted [tex]\sum_{i=0}^{n}a_{i}z^{i}[/tex] but I don't know how to connect the two beyond placing the sum within the absolute value.

Is there a way to simplify [tex]|\sum_{i=0}^{n}a_{i}z^{i}|^{2}[/tex]?

You've already written the norm of the inner product. Do you want to write it in terms of the a_i's? Is P_3 third degree polynomials? Or second? Either way it's going to be kind of uselessly complicated. If it's second, e.g. write (a0+a1*z+a2*z^2) times the complex conjugate and integrate over the real variable z in [0,1].

Related to Quick question about notation (Linear Algebra)

What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear transformations and their properties. It involves studying vectors, matrices, and systems of linear equations to solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

What is notation in linear algebra?

Notation in linear algebra refers to the symbols and conventions used to represent mathematical objects and operations. It includes symbols for vectors, matrices, and other mathematical entities, as well as rules for writing equations and expressing mathematical relationships.

Why is notation important in linear algebra?

Notation is important in linear algebra because it allows us to represent complex mathematical concepts in a concise and precise way. It also enables us to perform calculations and manipulate equations efficiently, making it easier to solve problems and understand abstract mathematical concepts.

What are some common notation used in linear algebra?

Some common notation used in linear algebra includes vectors represented by lowercase letters (e.g. v), matrices represented by uppercase letters (e.g. A), and scalars represented by Greek letters (e.g. λ). Other symbols such as subscripts, superscripts, and brackets are also commonly used.

How can I improve my understanding of notation in linear algebra?

To improve your understanding of notation in linear algebra, it is important to practice writing and interpreting equations using different symbols and conventions. You can also refer to textbooks, online resources, or seek help from a tutor or instructor to clarify any confusion or questions you may have.