How Does Fermat's Little Theorem Apply to Calculating 3^302 (mod 5)?

• Thread starter 1+1=1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses Fermat's Little Theorem and its application to finding the answer for 3^302 (mod 5). The theorem states that a^p-1 is congruent to 1 (mod p), and for every integer a, a^p is congruent to a (mod p). Using this theorem, it is determined that 3^(302) mod 5 is equivalent to 3*3*1 mod 5. The conversation also mentions that this concept can be used to solve other similar problems.
1+1=1
I have a question regarding mods and Fermat's Little Theorem. I know Fermat's little theorem states that a^p-1 congruent to 1 (mod p). Also, i know that for every interger a we have that a^p congruent to a (mod p). So, my question is: What is the answer for 3^302 (mod 5)? Would it be 3^301 congruent 1 (mod 5)? I am having a bit of difficulty understanding this concept. Any help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, Fermat's little theorem says 3^(5-1) = 1 (mod 5)...

Consider 300 = 4*75 = (5-1)*75. So:

So 3^(302) mod 5 = 3*3*[3^(300)] mod 5 = 3*3*[(3^75)^(5 - 1)] mod 5 = 3*3*1 mod 5

I think you can do the rest :wink:

thank you thank you all. by using this i can figure out the other five problems.

1. What is Fermat's Last Theorem?

Fermat's Last Theorem is a famous mathematical problem that states that no three positive integers a, b, and c can satisfy the equation an + bn = cn for any integer value of n greater than 2.

2. Who was Pierre de Fermat?

Pierre de Fermat was a French mathematician and lawyer who lived in the 17th century. He is most well-known for his contributions to number theory, including Fermat's Last Theorem.

3. What is the significance of Fermat's Last Theorem?

Fermat's Last Theorem has been a long-standing problem in mathematics that remained unsolved for over 350 years. Its proof in 1994 by Andrew Wiles has greatly impacted the field of mathematics and has opened up new avenues for research.

4. How was Fermat's Last Theorem finally proven?

Andrew Wiles provided a proof for Fermat's Last Theorem in 1994, after working on it in secret for seven years. His proof was based on advanced mathematical concepts such as elliptic curves and modular forms.

5. Are there any other unsolved problems related to Fermat's Last Theorem?

Yes, there are still many unsolved problems in number theory that are related to Fermat's Last Theorem. Some of these include the Beal Conjecture, the abc Conjecture, and the Langlands Program.