Quick question regarding photogates

• Thread starter josbear
  • Start date
In summary: It is attached to the cart and interrupts the laser beam as it passes through the photogate. In summary, during a lab using air tracks and photogates, the professor emphasized the importance of having the photogate perpendicular to the track in order to accurately measure the cart's velocity. The photogate contains a single laser beam that is blocked by a rectangular flag attached to the cart. The angle of the photogate to the track does not affect the velocity measurement, as it cancels out in the calculations. The flag is a rectangular piece of sheet metal with negligible thickness.
josbear
Hey everyone,

I had a quick question that arose in a lab last week and think this is the best place to post it. Please correct me if I am wrong. It is not a "homework" question so much as a question that came to me in a lab.

Homework Statement

In my lab last week, we were using air tracks and photogates to illustrate the transfer of potential energy to kinetic energy in a cart. At the beginning of class my professor made it clear that the photogate had to be perpendicular to the track in order to measure the cart's true velocity. I haven't been able to stop thinking about this statement since the class and was hoping someone could clarify to me why the photogate must be perpendicular to the air track (and therefore direction of motion of the cart).

So my question, I guess, is: does the angle of the photogate to the air track affect the velocity measurement of the cart?

*The flag thickness is negligible*

Homework Equations

d=vt

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried drawing it out and breaking the length of the "flag" on the cart and the velocity into components to calculate the time the laser is obstructed. If I'm not mistaken, the angle of the track to the photogate cancels out.

http://imgur.com/S7Kxpew[2]

I've attached an image of my work so far. I defined "L" to be the length of the flat flag used to trigger the photogate, "v" to be the velocity vector of the cart, and "theta" to be the angle in between the track and photogate.

Am I doing something wrong here or was my lab professor mistaken?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi josbear. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Does the photogate contain a single laser beam blocked for a duration by the flag, or does it contain two parallel beams interrupted in succession by the flag?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi NascentOxygen,

The photogate has a single laser beam that is blocked by the flag.

josbear said:
The photogate has a single laser beam that is blocked by the flag.
And the geometric shape of that flag is ...?

NascentOxygen said:
And the geometric shape of that flag is ...?

The flag is a rectangular piece of sheet metal with negligible thickness.

What is a photogate?

A photogate is an electronic sensor used to measure the passage of objects through a specific point in space. It consists of an infrared emitter and detector that work together to detect changes in light intensity, which can then be used to measure the time it takes an object to pass through the gate.

How does a photogate work?

A photogate works by emitting an infrared light beam and measuring the amount of light that is reflected back to the detector. When an object interrupts the beam, the amount of reflected light decreases, triggering a timer that records the time it takes for the object to pass through the gate.

What are the advantages of using a photogate?

One of the main advantages of using a photogate is its high precision and accuracy in measuring the time it takes for an object to pass through the gate. It also eliminates the need for manual timing, reducing human error and increasing efficiency in data collection.

How can a photogate be used in experiments?

Photogates can be used in a variety of experiments, such as measuring the speed of a moving object, determining the acceleration of a falling object, or studying the motion of a pendulum. They are also commonly used in physics and biology experiments to collect data on the movement of organisms or objects.

Are there any limitations to using a photogate?

One limitation of using a photogate is that it requires a clear line of sight between the emitter and detector, so objects that are opaque or have irregular shapes may not be suitable for measurement. Additionally, external factors such as ambient light or interference from other electronic devices can affect the accuracy of the measurements.