Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quirky habits

1. Mar 19, 2009 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What are your quirks?

I have a buddy who likes to play "gotcha". Any time we talk or correspond through email, he likes to start by taking some kind of shot [all in good fun]. I have noticed that when I get an email like this and I respond with a better gotcha, the phone rings in about thirty seconds! :rofl: And it's not like he has anything to say. He just says something completely benign with no reference to the email. I don't think he even realizes what's happening; it is more like a reflex.

As for personal quirks, I don't know how common this is, but I like to brush my teeth in the shower.

I refuse to fold underwear. There is no reason for it.

I am constantly drinking coffee. When I was younger, I would even take a coffee cup to bed.

I make tacos so frequently that I could probably pass a time and motion efficiency test.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2009 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Re: Quirky habbits

I make up songs all of the time and will break into dance any time. The evo child and my animals know not to pay any attention.

I like dim light and quite. I like to read at night. I am not a morning person. I don't like loud music. I like to be cold rather than warm, I keep the temperature at or below 65F in the winter.

4. Mar 19, 2009 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't know where to start...

My coworkers laugh at me because I can talk about very goofy stuff and then, all of a sudden, switch to really scientific stuff in the same sentence. They say they can tell if I'm being a goof or a scientist because I look different as I speak. Not sure what they're talking about...but I bet that's not considered quirky in this crowd.

I'm a total morining person, usually awake before 4:00. I daydream about being on boats or in the water. Watching snow fall makes me incredibly sleepy. I am inordinately fond of steel-toed boots :!!). I like flossing. Lima beans are like food of the Gods to me.

When I was a child my favorite meal was liver and spinach. Swimming at night is like heaven to me.

I'd do more but it's my bed time...

5. Mar 20, 2009 #4

Danger

Gold Member

I like to think that you and I have the same relationship.

What's a shower?

I refuse to wear underwear. There is no reason for it.
    I am constantly drinking beer. When I was younger, this occassionaly caused me to take an ugly woman to bed.
    I eat tacos so frequently that I could probably pass more gas than the Alaska pipeline.

6. Mar 20, 2009 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Those are barely called quirks. Sounds more like personal preferences.

For me, a quirk is that I always needs to know what kind of car is driving by, is behind me, in front of me. I need to know the brand and everything. I keep an eye on everything! Every little detail.

I remember driving on the highway, and there was a marathon on the other side, and again, I need to know what's going on. I spotted someone that looked familiar. Details on this person was walking, and held themself. I thought... I know who that is. I went to ask one of the profs. in the department, which I never had a class with, and I asked she was at the marathon, and she said "Yes." I got it bang on.

Note: It's not important to know the brands of cars while driving obviously, but it's my quick that I just HAVE to know.

It's not a personal preference to know because I really don't care. For some reason, I have to know.

7. Mar 20, 2009 #6

I constantly do divisibility tests on number signs on cars that are on the road when I am.

The funny thing being, I'm really bad at doing calculations in my head.

8. Mar 20, 2009 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I am only checking if they are divisible by 3.

But I have to count everything. Windows, letters in the sign, floors, rods in the grill, books on the shelf, syllables in the word, you name it, I count it. Especially when driving it can be dangerous.

A friend of mine have to read everything backwards.

9. Mar 20, 2009 #8

I read. I always have a book with me, at least in my car if not on my person. If I don't have a book and I'm bored I'll read signs or labels or what ever there is to read. After being released from jail for my DUI I had to wait hours for someone to come get me. I picked up and read an information pamphlet from the jail for the loved ones of persons who are jailed that outlined the rules for visitation, writing letters, and what have you. There were actually a couple interesting things I learned reading that.

10. Mar 20, 2009 #9

neu

SOmeone I know doesn't eat tomatos, but he'll have ketchup. Nutter

11. Mar 20, 2009 #10

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I tend to live in an alternate universe that runs about 30 seconds behind this one. (Sometimes even longer :uhh:)

Somebody says something in a conversation and I just kind of drop out of the conversation and think about it awhile. Suddenly I reply to what they said even though the topic has moved on to something completely different.

People that know me can see it coming. For awhile my coworkers would see my expression and say, "Uh oh, he's looping on level 16, again." (a reference to the software levels on the satellites we controlled)

I also tend to notice spelling errors and have a hard time not pointing them out. But, I'm almost improving at that.

And I roll my underwear. They fit in suitcases and backpacks better that way.

12. Mar 20, 2009 #11

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I close the bathroom door even when no one else is home. Sometimes I even lock it.

13. Mar 20, 2009 #12

alxm

Science Advisor

I'm a bit like that. I eat tomatoes but I don't like them that much in their natural state. I just don't like the consistency.

14. Mar 20, 2009 #13

How is that possible??? :yuck:

15. Mar 20, 2009 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like saying "Daljit Dhaliwal". Don't know why.

When my brother was a kid, he refused to eat ice cream for years. He simply refused to try it! When he finally did it was a real DUH moment.

16. Mar 20, 2009 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dunno. The texture of liver is pure heaven. I still think about it but I don't eat it, for health reasons.

But spinach...aaaaaaahhhhgggg.....love me my spinach. Raw, cooked a little, cooked a lot...mmmm. And Brussels sprouts. And lima beans.

Yeah, I even like tofu.

17. Mar 20, 2009 #16

DaveC426913

Gold Member

What is a "number sign on a car"? Do you mean a license plate?

That's pretty much textbook OCD.

18. Mar 20, 2009 #17

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I cannot eat out of a metal bowl with a metal spoon. Swiss chalet serves their ice cream in metal bowls and I have to ask them to change it.

Just writing about now is giving me a nails-on-blackboard feeling.

19. Mar 20, 2009 #18

Throwing a coin in the air, continuously. There is elegance in randomness.

20. Mar 20, 2009 #19

DaveC426913

Gold Member

This is only a quirky habit if you also wear a fedora and continually hum 'The minute you walked in the room (ba da da dum)...'

21. Mar 20, 2009 #20

Danger

Gold Member

Gee, thanks... now that's going be be stuck in my head all night. :grumpy:

No kidding! A couple of slabs stuffed into a sock when the wife's away, and all is well. :approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook