Quite complicated integral= sin(π/12)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Tony1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: Simplifying further, we get:$$\sqrt{3}\int_{0}^{\infty}{\frac{e^{i\pi\frac{u^2}{3}}+e^{-i\pi\frac{u^2}{3}}}{e^{u\pi}+e^{-u\pi}}}\mathrm du$$Using the property of complex conjugates again, we can rewrite the integral as:$$
Tony1
Given that,

How to show that,

$$\int_{0}^{\infty}{\cos(\pi x^2)\over {1\over 2}+\cosh\left({x\pi\over \sqrt{3}}\right)}\mathrm dx=\sin\left(\pi\over 12\right)$$

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Hello!

To show that the given integral is equal to $\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{12}\right)$, we can use the substitution $u=\frac{x}{\sqrt{3}}$ to rewrite the integral as:

$$\int_{0}^{\infty}{\cos(\pi x^2)\over {1\over 2}+\cosh\left({x\pi\over \sqrt{3}}\right)}\mathrm dx=\sqrt{3}\int_{0}^{\infty}{\cos\left(\pi\frac{u^2}{3}\right)\over {1\over 2}+\cosh(u\pi)}\mathrm du$$

Next, we can use the identity $\cosh(x)=\frac{e^x+e^{-x}}{2}$ to simplify the denominator:

$$\int_{0}^{\infty}{\cos\left(\pi\frac{u^2}{3}\right)\over {1\over 2}+\cosh(u\pi)}\mathrm du=\sqrt{3}\int_{0}^{\infty}{\cos\left(\pi\frac{u^2}{3}\right)\over \frac{1}{2}+\frac{e^{u\pi}+e^{-u\pi}}{2}}\mathrm du$$

Using the trigonometric identity $\cos(x)=\frac{e^{ix}+e^{-ix}}{2}$, we can rewrite the numerator as:

$$\cos\left(\pi\frac{u^2}{3}\right)=\frac{e^{i\pi\frac{u^2}{3}}+e^{-i\pi\frac{u^2}{3}}}{2}$$

Substituting this into the integral, we get:

$$\sqrt{3}\int_{0}^{\infty}{\frac{e^{i\pi\frac{u^2}{3}}+e^{-i\pi\frac{u^2}{3}}}{2}\over \frac{1}{2}+\frac{e^{u\pi}+e^{-u\pi}}{2}}\mathrm du$$

Using the property of complex conjugates, we can rewrite the integral as:

$$\sqrt{3}\int_{0}^{\infty}{

Related to Quite complicated integral= sin(π/12)

1. What is a complicated integral?

A complicated integral is a mathematical expression that involves finding the area under a curve using advanced techniques. It requires knowledge of calculus and can involve complex functions and limits.

2. What is the value of the integral sin(π/12)?

The value of the integral sin(π/12) is approximately 0.2588. This can be calculated using trigonometric identities and integration techniques.

3. Why is the integral sin(π/12) considered to be quite complicated?

The integral sin(π/12) is considered quite complicated because it involves a trigonometric function, which can be difficult to integrate. Additionally, the value of π/12 is not a commonly used angle measure, making it less familiar to work with.

4. What applications does the integral sin(π/12) have in science?

The integral sin(π/12) has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It can be used to model wave motion, calculate areas and volumes, and solve differential equations.

5. Can the integral sin(π/12) be simplified or approximated?

Yes, the integral sin(π/12) can be simplified or approximated using various techniques such as substitution, trigonometric identities, or numerical methods. However, the exact value of the integral is a decimal and cannot be simplified to a simple fraction or whole number.