Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
10) Dog, perhaps?

Evo
Mentor
Moonbear said:
Is it cheating to keep guessing random animals I see everyday (or at least often...squirrels are the only beasts I see EVERY day raiding the bird feeders)?

Perhaps Clarke refused to eat crow?
Ok, I will give it away below with a clue that no one could miss.

Here it is: eating this would be like eating your best friend

Evo
Mentor
arildno said:
10) Dog, perhaps?
Wow, we are psychically linked! I had just given the clue that would have given it away!

When the expedition started running low on food, they ate the dogs. Each man consumed 9lbs of meat per day on average. :bugeye:

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Oh ! I was going after the wrong question. :grumpy: 9 lbs of meat a day !!??!! :eek:

Someone famous wrote about eating dogs in one of his novels ....was it London ?

Evo
Mentor
Gokul43201 said:
Oh ! I was going after the wrong question. :grumpy: 9 lbs of meat a day !!??!! :eek:
I found this in an article in National Geographic titled "Sex, Dog Meat, and the Lash: Odd Facts About Lewis and Clark" :bugeye: I became worried that National Geographic was branching off into kinky stuff. :biggrin:

"Their favorite foods were always elk, beaver tail, and buffalo, and when they were struggling up the Missouri the men ate prodigious amounts of it, up to nine pounds of meat per man per day. But dogs would do if dogs were all that they could get. Only Clark abstained. He couldn't bring himself to eat dog meat."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/12/1204_031204_lewisclark.html

Last edited by a moderator:
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Actually, beaver tail seems more nauseating to me than dog..

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Great Quiz, Evo ! :approve:

Despite being quite fond of van Eyck's works (he - in fact the realist movement itself, on a broader scale - was such a breath of fresh air from the medieval painters before him :yuck:), I had no idea he pioneered the use of oils ! Loved that one.

The physics questions (4, 15) were too easy for a place like this. :rolleyes:

Evo
Mentor
Gokul43201 said:
Great Quiz, Evo ! :approve:
Thanks, it took me half a day to find reliable sources to verify everything I was posting, but it was fun. Well, it took me that long because I can't stop reading when I find something new. :redface:

Despite being quite fond of van Eyck's works (he - in fact the realist movement itself, on a broader scale - was such a breath of fresh air from the medieval painters before him :yuck:), I had no idea he pioneered the use of oils ! Loved that one.
That one surprised me too.

The physics questions (4, 15) were too easy for a place like this. :rolleyes:
I know, but with my lack of knowledge of physics, I had to use information I could verify myself. :blushing:

Alright, who's posting the next quiz???

Mk
Evo said:
Taumatawhakatangihangakoauotamateturipukakapikimaungahoro-Nukupokaiwhenua kitanatahu

Too bad I was too late, but actually I have:
Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

#5 Jonathan Swift in Gulliver's Travels

Evo u should have edited the first page!!
Too bad that i missed it.

how about BIB or BOB instead of NOON?

plover
Homework Helper
tribdog said:
how about BIB or BOB instead of NOON?
Those only work, if, so to speak, you reflect through the x-axis rather than the usual "turn upside down" which is a 180° rotation.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If you relax the palindrome constraint, you only have one more solution (I think) : MOW

And if you take out the capital letter contraint, you get just one more : pod

Allowing any combination of capital and small letters gives one additional possibility : dIp

Quite strange that the seemingly important palindromic constraint was not really !

On the other hand requiring invariance under reflection about a central x-axis (rether than a 180° rotation) opens up many more new solutions : BIB, BOB, DEED, DID, SEES, BOOB, etc.

Last edited:
plover
Homework Helper
SEES doesn't work... o:)

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
The only one who does work is "I" (the pronoun). :tongue2:

It has been suggested on the first page...So i claim no credit...

Daniel.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
plover said:
SEES doesn't work... o:)
Oops ! :redface: Guess I wass seeing right !

Gokul43201 said:
If you relax the palindrome constraint, you only have one more solution (I think) : MOW

And if you take out the capital letter contraint, you get just one more : pod

Allowing any combination of capital and small letters gives one additional possibility : dIp

Quite strange that the seemingly important palindromic constraint was not really !

On the other hand requiring invariance under reflection about a central x-axis (rether than a 180° rotation) opens up many more new solutions : BIB, BOB, DEED, DID, SEES, BOOB, etc.
I think there must be more if you relax the palindrome and capital letter rule. you can use b/q, d/p, h/y, I/I, l/l, m/w, n/u, N/N, o/o, p/d, q/b, s/s, u/n, w/m, x/x, y/h, z/z
diN/Nip is one

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
But dIN is not the same as NIp.

'pod' is another solution, but I don't think there's many more