1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quotable literature electric field at wire tips?

1. Jun 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Does anybody know where to find a source that describes the electrical field between two opposing wire tips with a small gap between them?

The problem is more or less finding a quotable source, not so much solving the problem.

2. Relevant equations

Not relevant now.

3. The attempt at a solution

Not relevant now.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF.
    Do you need actual peer-reviewed papers or just a source that tells you how to do it?
    Define "small"? Small enough that the ends can be treated as parallel plates? Any idealizations we need to know about? What level is this for? Context?

Note: your attempt at a solutions is relevant - where have you looked? What did you find there? You should make the attempt.

Some hints: a small gap between the ends of two wires is sometimes called a "spark gap" and sometimes an "inter-electrode space".

4. Jun 11, 2012 #3
    So far I found a script describing the field on a single line charge tip. By superposition of two I should have a solution.

There is a thread about this here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=569512

But I cant quote this forum... :wink:

The situation I try to describe can be under some conditions simplified as capacitor plates, and under others as point dipole. There is plenty of information about these cases.

I have a more medical related background so my knowledege about this topic is limited.

This is for a paper I prepare from my bachelor thesis, a peer reviewed journal paper as a source would be the best solution.

This is the script I found (Example 2.2): web.mit.edu/viz/EM/visualizations/notes/modules/guide02.pdf

(Cant post a link right now, as there is a 10 post requirement before that here it seems.)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook