Robert Wilson: Physics is Worth Defending for Its Own Sake

In summary, the physicist in question said that the value of physics is not based on its usefulness, but on its impact on the public. He also said that the government should not fund the arts because they have no practical use.
audreyh
Hi all,

I'm trying to find the exact quote that I remember reading about a couple years ago. It was by some physicist who went in front of Congress (can't remember if it was the House or senate) and was asked why Congress should spend $200 million (I may be incorrect on the figure) to build a new particle accelerator. For some reason I remember the article claiming it was from the 1950s or 60s maybe. The physicist in effect responds by equating physics to the arts, and asks why we fund the arts; and replies by claiming it creates national pride. Of course much more eloquently.

thanksNevermind I found it. If anyone's interested...

In 1969, the Congressional Joint Committee on Atomic Energy held a hearing at which the physicist Robert Wilson was called to testify. Wilson, who had served as the chief of experimental nuclear physics for the Manhattan Project, was at that point the head of CERN’s main rival, Fermilab, and in charge of $250 million that Congress had recently allocated for the lab to build a new collider. Senator John Pastore, of Rhode Island, wanted to know the rationale behind a government expenditure of that size. Did the collider have anything to do with promoting “the security of the country”?WILSON: No sir, I don’t believe so.
PASTORE: Nothing at all?
WILSON: Nothing at all.
PASTORE: It has no value in that respect?
WILSON: It only has to do with the respect with which we regard one another, the dignity of men, our love of culture. . . . It has to do with are we good painters, good sculptors, great poets? I mean all the things we really venerate in our country and are patriotic about. . . . It has nothing to do directly with defending our country except to make it worth defending.

Asked to explain how their work, supported by public funds, contributes to the public good, particle physicists often cite Wilson, or offer some variation on his non-answer answer: the search for knowledge cannot be justified on other grounds; its value, like the particles under study, is irreducible.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/05/14/070514fa_fact_kolbert?printable=true

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Frankly, I could care less if physicists get the warm and fuzzies. I want results! I just don't expect them in my lifetime.

Ivan Seeking said:
Frankly, I could care less if physicists get the warm and fuzzies. I want results! I just don't expect them in my lifetime.

I second that notion!

Similair to Faraday's quote to Gladstone about if electricity will be of any use.
“Why, sir, there is every possibility that you will soon be able to tax it!

1. What is the main argument of Robert Wilson's speech?

Robert Wilson argues that physics is worth defending for its own sake, regardless of its practical applications or usefulness.

2. Why does Robert Wilson believe that physics is important?

According to Wilson, physics is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws and principles of the universe, and allows us to appreciate the beauty and complexity of the natural world.

3. How does Robert Wilson address the criticism that physics has no practical value?

Wilson argues that while physics may not have immediate practical applications, it has often led to unexpected discoveries and advancements in technology. Additionally, he believes that the pursuit of knowledge and understanding for its own sake is valuable in and of itself.

4. What does Robert Wilson believe is the danger of solely focusing on practical applications in science?

Wilson believes that solely focusing on practical applications can lead to a narrow and short-sighted view of science. He argues that by valuing knowledge for its own sake, we open ourselves up to new possibilities and discoveries.

5. How does Robert Wilson encourage scientists to defend the pursuit of knowledge for its own sake?

Wilson encourages scientists to continue pushing the boundaries of knowledge and to share their enthusiasm for science with the public. He also suggests that scientists should actively engage in discussions and debates about the value and purpose of science in society.