R-2R ladder D/A converter problem

In summary, this problem asks you to find the voltage output given two inputs, A and B. You must first find Vref, which is set to 0V when you are starting. Next, you must find the output given any combination of A and B. This is done by solving a reference equation.
Name15

Homework Statement

R-2R ladder question.png

Simplify in order to find voltage output.

Homework Equations

Vout= -Vref x (A + B/2 + C/4 + D/8)

The Attempt at a Solution

R-2R ladder Q attempt.png

Firstly is this even correct?
Secondly, I have 2 voltages (2.5V and 5V), what should I do now? what is my Vref?

Physics news on Phys.org
Name15 said:
what is my Vref?
Vref = 0V

I think that what is meant is that you must form a Thevenin equivalent from R1, R2:
Vth12 = 0V , Rth12 = R1 || R2 = 1Ω.
Now, this equivalent is connected in series with R3, giving Rth123 = 2Ω , Vth123 = 0V.

In this way you successive form new equivalents from left to right, until you have an equivalent for R1 . . R8 and VD . . VA.
Then you can calculate Vout.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Hi, I don't understand why Vref = 0. I have 2 inputs; 5V and 2.5V. I thought one or both of those would be Vref. Also if Vref is zero, wouldn't Vout also be zero?

The 2.5V is not an input, but ( I assume ) an internal analog voltage you have calculated. I don't know how.

The ⊥ - symbol is Vref = 0V, and the terminals: A . . D are inputs ( something like TTL-level logic ( 0V = low level, 5V = high level ) ).

Vout will be a negative voltage, due to an inverting amplifier. Don't care about that, just calculate :smile:.

If you are looking for the ##V_{ref}## that fits your relevant equation, then set voltages B,C, and D to zero and then find the output due to voltage A alone. Then set ##V_{ref}## to a value that satisfies the reference equation for that scenario.

The problem is only C and D are 0V (A and B are both 5V), so I don't know how to do this problem. I've only been taught binary inputs where there is only one input.

Name15 said:
The problem is only C and D are 0V (A and B are both 5V), so I don't know how to do this problem. I've only been taught binary inputs where there is only one input.
Just set B,C, and D to zero volts for purposes of finding your Vref. It should be clear that A,B,C,and D are inputs for this circuit, and apparently the logic levels are 0V and 5V.

After you determine Vref you can find the output given any combination of inputs by using your relevant equation.

1. What is an R-2R ladder D/A converter?

An R-2R ladder D/A converter is a type of digital-to-analog converter (DAC) that converts a digital input signal into an analog output signal. It uses a network of resistors, with a specific ratio of 2:1, to create a voltage output that corresponds to the digital input.

2. How does an R-2R ladder D/A converter work?

The R-2R ladder D/A converter works by using a string of resistors, with values of R and 2R, connected in a specific pattern. The digital input signal is applied to the top of the ladder, and as it passes through the resistors, it creates an output voltage that corresponds to the digital input value.

3. What is the advantage of using an R-2R ladder D/A converter?

One major advantage of an R-2R ladder D/A converter is its simplicity. It requires fewer components compared to other types of DACs, making it more cost-effective and reliable. It also has a relatively high accuracy and low distortion, making it suitable for many applications.

4. What are some common problems with R-2R ladder D/A converters?

One common problem with R-2R ladder D/A converters is non-linearity, which can result in errors in the output voltage. This can be caused by variations in the resistor values or imperfections in the manufacturing process. Another issue is thermal noise, which can affect the accuracy of the output voltage.

5. How can I troubleshoot issues with an R-2R ladder D/A converter?

If you are experiencing issues with an R-2R ladder D/A converter, you can try checking the resistor values to ensure they are within the specified tolerances. You can also check for any loose connections or damaged components. Additionally, using a low-pass filter can help reduce thermal noise and improve the accuracy of the output voltage.