Is .999' Equal to 1? A Proof Using Reductio Ad Absurdum

• Thread starter Pyrovus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, a discussion about the proof that 0.999... is equal to 1 was had. Several different arguments were presented, including using the nested interval theorem, the definition of recurring decimals, and the binomial theorem. Ultimately, it was agreed that 0.999... is indeed equal to 1.
Pyrovus
Hi everyone! Apologies to those annoyed by my starting one of those .999'=1 threads :)

This is a little reductio ad absurdum proof that .999'=1 that I came up with, and I'm just wondering what everyone thinks with regards to the soundness of it.

Assume .999' < 1
Now, for any 2 real numbers, a and b, such that a < b, a number (a+b)/2 exists such that a < (a+b)/2 < b
So, letting a=.999' and b=1:
(a+b)/2 = (.999' + 1)/2
= .999'/2 + 1/2
= .4999' + .5
= .999'
And, since a < (a+b)/2:
.999' < .999'
So, .999' is less than itself!
Adding an arbitary constant to both sides:
.999' + c < .999' + c
Hence, no number is equal to itself.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Not bad. The weaknesses (not errors) are in the use of ".999'/2= .4999' " and
".4999'+ .5= .9999' " those require calculations on an infinite number of digits that, while valid, are exactly what people, who deny that 0.999'= 1, would object to.

0.999... / 2 will result in a decimal such that the LAST digit is always 5. i.e, 0.9/2 = 0.45, 0.99/2 = 0.495, 0.999/2 = 0.4995, for any FINITE number of decimals. I don't know what happens if 0.9 periodic.

Icebreaker said:
0.999... / 2 will result in a decimal such that the LAST digit is always 5. i.e, 0.9/2 = 0.45, 0.99/2 = 0.495, 0.999/2 = 0.4995, for any FINITE number of decimals. I don't know what happens if 0.9 periodic.
Think of it as 0.495 as: 4/10 + 4/100 + 5/1000. So in general we have that the final term in the decimal representation is like this:

[tex]5 \cdot 10^{-n}[/tex]

Rewriting:

[tex]5\frac{1}{10^n} \leq \frac{1}{n} \, \, \, \forall n(>2) \in \mathbb{N}[/tex]

And therefore from the Archimedean property we get that the final term of the sequence being:

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} 5\cdot 10^{-n} = 0[/tex]

I guess if you want to prove 0.999...=1 completely, you will have to include a second part where you assume 0.999...>1 and, using the same method, prove the absurdities; therefore 0.999... must equal to 1. Kind of like the squeeze theorem.

The proof I favor uses the nested interval theorem (your squeeze theorem?).

It is easy to show that both :
[tex] 1 - 10^{-n }< .999... < 1+ 10^{-n} [/tex]
and
[tex] 1 - 10^{-n }< 1 < 1+ 10^{-n} [/tex]

hold for all n>0

Apply the Nested interval theorem and you are done.

I see these threads regarding recurring decimal as purely useless.
[tex] 0.(9)\equiv 1 [/tex] follows from the definition of the recurring simple decimal
[tex] 0.(a)=:\frac{a}{9} [/tex] by plugging a=9...

No sqeeze of any theorem,jus a plain simple DEFINITION...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
[tex] 0.(9)\equiv 1 [/tex] follows from the definition of the recurring simple decimal

Daniel.
Spoken like a true Physicist.

Ah, but can you show that
[tex]0.\bar{9}[/tex]
is a real number in the first place?

Mmm... if you can show that [tex]0.\bar{9} = 1[/tex], then [tex]0.\bar{9}[/tex] is a real number.

Divide 4/9...Is the result 0.(4) a real number...?Then inverse the notation into the definition:

[tex] \frac{4}{9} =:^{not} 0.(4) [/tex]...

Then evidently

[tex] 0.(4)=:\frac{4}{9} [/tex]...

IIRC,R^{*} is closed under the division...

Daniel.

Actually, taking Daniel's approach isn't just "the physicists". The real numbers aren't after all decimals, but a set with certain properties. If we offer the decimals with the equivalance of the nines to a string with zeroes then all we are doing is producing a model of the real numbers. So another dismissal of people's objections is simply if 0.9... and 1 aren't equal it simply isn't a model of the axioms, as it fails the archimidean principle.

NateTG said:
Ah, but can you show that
[tex]0.\bar{9}[/tex]
is a real number in the first place?

Yes, by using a DEFINITION of "real number" which is the best way to prove 0.9999... = 1 in the first place. (The crucial point that people who claim 0.999... is NOT 1 alway miss is that you have to DEFINE the real numbers before you can sensably talk about them.)

For this purpose, the simplest definition of "real number" to use is:

Consider the set of all non-decreasing sequences of rational numbers with upper bounds. We say that two such sequences {an}, {bn} are equivalent if and only if the sequence {an- bn} converges to 0. The "real numbers" are the equivalence classes of rational numbers corresponding to that equivalence relation and we can define addition and multiplication in obvious way. There is an obvious 1 to 1 function from the rational numbers to these equivalence classes (the rational number r corresponds to the class containing the sequence r, r, r,...) so that we may regard the rational numbers as being a subset of the real numbers.

Now: it is clear that the sequence 0.9, 0.99, 0.999, ... is a non-decreasing sequence and has 1 as an upper bound. Therefore, it is in one of these equivalence classes and corresponds to a real number.

Further more, since for {a_n}= 1, 1, 1, ... and {bn}= 0.9, 0.99, 0.999... {an- bn}= 0.1, 0.01, 0.001, ... converges to 0, 0.999... and 1 belong to the same equivalence class and so are the same real number: 0.999... = 1.0.

Last edited by a moderator:
dextercioby said:

Daniel.
or could you use the binomial thm for a more general case?

What is "RAA Proof that .999'=1"?

"RAA Proof that .999'=1" is a mathematical proof that shows that the decimal representation of the number 1 can also be represented as .999 repeating. This means that the two numbers are equal, even though they may look different at first glance.

Why is this proof important?

This proof is important because it challenges our understanding of numbers and the concept of infinity. It also has practical applications in fields such as mathematics, physics, and computer science.

How does the proof work?

The proof uses the Reductio ad Absurdum (RAA) method, which assumes the opposite of what is to be proven and then shows that it leads to a contradiction. In this case, it assumes that .999 repeating is not equal to 1 and then shows that this leads to a contradiction.

Is this proof accepted by all mathematicians?

Yes, the RAA proof that .999'=1 is widely accepted by mathematicians and has been used in various mathematical textbooks and papers. It has also been verified using different mathematical techniques and proofs.

What are some common misconceptions about this proof?

One common misconception is that the proof uses rounding or approximation. However, the proof uses infinite series and limits to show that .999 repeating is exactly equal to 1. Another misconception is that this proof only applies to decimal numbers, but it can be extended to other number systems such as fractions and binary numbers.