Radial current in a curved wire?

In summary, direct current flowing through a curved wire with finite thickness will not result in a net current in the radial direction due to the lack of a path for the current to flow. However, there may be a slight effect of self-induction causing resistance to turning in the current. The concept of radial polarization and its effects in coils or solenoids has not been extensively studied and there is currently no known reference text or paper available on the topic.
jpo
Direct current flows through curved wire with finite thickness. Will there be current in radial direction due to curvature (so to say, "charge inertia")?
I suppose this radial current will be due to self-induction.

Physics news on Phys.org
jpo said:
Direct current flows through curved wire with finite thickness. Will there be current in radial direction due to curvature (so to say, "charge inertia")?
I suppose this radial current will be due to self-induction.

There shouldn't be net current because there is nowhere for the current to go in that direction. A slight negative charge would build up on the outside that would cancel out the effect of any "charge inertia" quickly.

But yes, I think inductance would cause the basic effect you're describing, that the current would slightly resist turning.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I was also thinking of "polarization" due to negative charge build-up on the outward radial end.

Do you know a reference text/paper that describes this? Usually when people speak of coils or solenoids they are always considered infinitely thin

I have never read anything about radial polarization before. If anyone has a reference, please share...

Anyone?

What is radial current in a curved wire?

Radial current in a curved wire refers to the flow of electric current that moves in a circular or radial path along a curved wire. This phenomenon occurs due to the magnetic field created by the curved wire, which causes the electrons to move in a circular motion.

How is radial current different from normal current?

Radial current differs from normal current in terms of direction and flow. Normal current flows in a straight line, while radial current moves in a circular or radial path. Additionally, radial current is induced by the magnetic field of a curved wire, while normal current is typically generated by a voltage source.

What factors affect the strength of radial current?

The strength of radial current is influenced by several factors, including the radius of the curved wire, the magnitude of the magnetic field, and the conductivity of the wire. A larger radius, stronger magnetic field, and higher conductivity will result in a stronger radial current.

What is the significance of radial current in practical applications?

Radial current plays a crucial role in various practical applications, such as electromagnets, inductive heating systems, and electric motors. It is also utilized in medical devices, such as MRI machines, to create a strong magnetic field for imaging purposes.

How can radial current be controlled or manipulated?

Radial current can be controlled or manipulated by adjusting the factors that affect its strength, such as the radius of the wire, the strength of the magnetic field, and the material of the wire. Additionally, changing the direction of the magnetic field can also alter the direction of the radial current.