Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radial current in a curved wire?

1. Sep 17, 2010 #1

jpo

Direct current flows through curved wire with finite thickness. Will there be current in radial direction due to curvature (so to say, "charge inertia")?
    I suppose this radial current will be due to self-induction.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2010 #2
    There shouldn't be net current because there is nowhere for the current to go in that direction. A slight negative charge would build up on the outside that would cancel out the effect of any "charge inertia" quickly.

But yes, I think inductance would cause the basic effect you're describing, that the current would slightly resist turning.

4. Sep 17, 2010 #3

jpo

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I was also thinking of "polarization" due to negative charge build-up on the outward radial end.

Do you know a reference text/paper that describes this? Usually when people speak of coils or solenoids they are always considered infinitely thin

5. Sep 17, 2010 #4

jpo

I have never read anything about radial polarization before. If anyone has a reference, please share...

6. Sep 19, 2010 #5

jpo

Anyone?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook