1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radial current in a curved wire?

1. Sep 17, 2010 #1

jpo

Direct current flows through curved wire with finite thickness. Will there be current in radial direction due to curvature (so to say, "charge inertia")?
    I suppose this radial current will be due to self-induction.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2010 #2
    There shouldn't be net current because there is nowhere for the current to go in that direction. A slight negative charge would build up on the outside that would cancel out the effect of any "charge inertia" quickly.

But yes, I think inductance would cause the basic effect you're describing, that the current would slightly resist turning.

4. Sep 17, 2010 #3

jpo

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I was also thinking of "polarization" due to negative charge build-up on the outward radial end.

Do you know a reference text/paper that describes this? Usually when people speak of coils or solenoids they are always considered infinitely thin

5. Sep 17, 2010 #4

jpo

I have never read anything about radial polarization before. If anyone has a reference, please share...

6. Sep 19, 2010 #5

jpo

Anyone?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook