Where am I going wrong in my radial equation substitution derivation?

In summary, the student was trying to solve an ODE for the radial function in quantum mechanics and was getting nowhere. He realized that he was losing a factor of (1/r) somewhere in the equation and was able to solve for R using the equation {1\over r^2 } {d\over dr} \left (r^2 R'\right ) = {1\over r^2 } \left (2rR' + r^2R'' \right ).
MxwllsPersuasns

Homework Statement

Essentially we are describing the ODE for the radial function in quantum mechanics and in the derivation a substitution of u(r) = rR(r) is made, the problem then asks you to show that {(1/r^2)(d/dr(r^2(dR/dr))) = 1/r(d^(2)u/dr^2)

Homework Equations

The substitution: u(r) = rR(r)
The ODE: {(1/r^2)(d/dr(r^2(dR/dr))) = 1/r(d^(2)u/dr^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

So first I decided to try differentiation u once; I got du/dr = d{rR(r)}/dr = R(r) + r{dR(r)}/dr which didn't look promising and then differentiating again I get: dR(r)/dr + {dR(r)/dr + d^(2)R(r)/dr^2} = 2dR(r)/dr + d^(2)R(r)/dr^2 this also didn't lead anywhere.

Next I tried starting from the ODE and solving for R(r), hoping to find that R(r) = u(r)/r
Starting with {(1/r^2)(d/dr(r^2(dR/dr))) = 1/r(d^(2)u/dr^2) I first multiplied by r^2 to find...
- d/dr{r^2(dR/dr)} = r{d^(2)u/dr^2} Then I integrated wrt r...
- r^(2)dR/dr = {r^(2)/2}du/dr The r^2's cancel and we find R = u(r)/2 which is off by a factor of (1/r)

I'm assuming I must be losing a factor of (1/r) somewhere along the way but can't quite see where.. I think I remember some little "trick" with the whole (1/r^2)(d/dr(r^2(dR/dr)) term from classical mechanics but can't quite remember how to manipulate it. Any insight into where I'm going wrong is GREATLY appreciated. Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
No trick. Straightforward
$$u'= rR'+ R \quad \Rightarrow\quad u'' = R'+ r R'' + R'\quad \Rightarrow\quad {u''\over r} = R'' + 2{R'\over r}$$
(Your
MxwllsPersuasns said:
this also didn't lead anywhere
But it's exactly what you want:
$$ {1\over r^2 } {d\over dr} \left (r^2 R'\right ) = {1\over r^2 } \left (2rR' + r^2R'' \right )$$ Bingo

Hey thanks! I actually found the error in my thinking as I was waiting for a response but your response confirmed it for me and I thank you for your prompt and friendly response BvU. Have a nice day :)

My pleasure.

What is the radial equation substitution method?

The radial equation substitution method is a mathematical technique used to solve differential equations, specifically those with a radial symmetry. It involves substituting a new variable, typically denoted as u or r, for the original variable in the differential equation, which allows for the simplification of the equation into a more manageable form.

Why is the radial equation substitution method useful?

The radial equation substitution method is useful because it allows for the solution of differential equations that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve. It is particularly effective for solving equations with radial symmetry, such as those found in physics and engineering applications.

What are the steps involved in the radial equation substitution method?

The first step in the radial equation substitution method is to identify the variable to be substituted and choose a suitable substitution. This is followed by substituting the new variable into the differential equation and simplifying it. The next step is to solve the resulting equation for the new variable. Finally, the solution is re-substituted back into the original variable to obtain the final solution.

What are some common mistakes when using the radial equation substitution method?

One common mistake when using the radial equation substitution method is choosing an inappropriate substitution, which can lead to a more complicated equation or even an unsolvable one. Another mistake is incorrectly simplifying the substituted equation, which can result in an incorrect solution. It is also important to remember to re-substitute the solution back into the original variable to obtain the final solution.

Can the radial equation substitution method be used for all differential equations?

No, the radial equation substitution method is only useful for solving differential equations with radial symmetry. It is not applicable to other types of equations, such as those with Cartesian symmetry. Additionally, some equations may require multiple substitutions or more advanced techniques to solve.