Radiative equilibrium temperature of a satellite

In summary, the conversation involved calculating the radiative equilibrium temperature of a black spherical satellite orbiting in the Earth's shadow. The calculations involved setting up an integral for energy transfer, using the Stefan-Boltzmann Law to find the satellite's temperature, and considering the limit of integration for the satellite's surface area. The final temperature was found to be 165 K, which may seem low but is a result of the balance between incoming and outgoing radiation.
guitarstorm

Homework Statement

A small, perfectly black, spherical satellite is in orbit around the Earth. If the Earth radiates as a black body at an equivalent blackbody temperature [itex]T_{E}[/itex] = 255 K, calculate the radiative equilibrium temperature of the satellite when it is in the Earth’s shadow. Start by setting dQ as function of solid angle dω and let integration over the arc of solid angle be 2.21.

Homework Equations

[itex]F=\sigma T_{E}^{4}=\pi I[/itex]

[itex]\int dE=\int \int I\, d\omega \, dA[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I set up the integral of dE as:

[itex]\int dE=\int_{A=\pi R_{E}^{2}}\int_{2.21}I\, d\omega \, dA[/itex]

My only question here is my limit of integration for dA... Should it be over the area of Earth's disk or the entire surface area (which would be [itex]4\pi R_{E}^{2}[/itex])?

Assuming the way I have it is right, I get:

[itex]E=2.21\pi IR_{E}^{2}[/itex]

Substituting in for I and then [itex]F_{E}[/itex], it becomes:

[itex]E=2.21R_{E}^{2}\sigma T_{E}^{4}[/itex]

And plugging in the values [itex]R_{E} = 6.37 * 10^{6}m[/itex], [itex]\sigma = 5.67 * 10^{-8} Wm^{-2}K^{-4}[/itex], and [itex]T_{E} = 255 K [/itex],

[itex]E = 2.15 * 10^{16}W[/itex], which is the energy transfer to the satellite per unit time.

Using the Steffan-Boltzmann Law again, I set up the equation for the temperature of the satellite as:

[itex]F_{s}=\sigma T_{s}^{4}[/itex], which I believe is the same as [itex]\frac{E}{4\pi R_{E}^{2}}=\sigma T_{s}^{4}[/itex].

Rearranging, [itex]T_{s}=\frac{E}{4\pi \sigma R_{E}^{2}}^{1/4}[/itex].

Plugging in the values and calculating, I get [itex]T_{s} = 165 K [/itex].

I was a bit uncertain about whether I did this last step correctly, and my answer seems a bit low...

Physics news on Phys.org
any feedback would be appreciated!Your approach and calculations look correct to me. As for the limit of integration for dA, it should be over the entire surface area of the Earth, so 4πR_E^2. This is because the satellite is receiving radiation from all parts of the Earth's surface, not just the disk that is facing it.

As for the final temperature, it does seem a bit low, but it is possible for the satellite to have a lower equilibrium temperature in the Earth's shadow compared to when it is facing the sun. This is because the satellite is not only receiving radiation from the Earth, but it is also radiating its own energy out into space. This balance between incoming and outgoing radiation leads to a lower equilibrium temperature.

Overall, your solution looks good and your calculations seem correct. Great job!

1. What is the radiative equilibrium temperature of a satellite?

The radiative equilibrium temperature of a satellite is the temperature at which the amount of energy radiated by the satellite equals the amount of energy it absorbs from the sun. This balance of energy results in a stable temperature for the satellite.

2. How is the radiative equilibrium temperature of a satellite calculated?

The radiative equilibrium temperature of a satellite is calculated by taking into account the satellite's distance from the sun, its albedo (reflectivity), and the composition of its atmosphere. These factors determine the amount of solar radiation that is absorbed and reflected by the satellite, and ultimately, its overall temperature.

3. What is the significance of the radiative equilibrium temperature for satellites?

The radiative equilibrium temperature is an important factor to consider when designing and operating satellites. It helps scientists and engineers understand how much heat the satellite will absorb and how much cooling will be required to maintain a stable temperature. This information is crucial for the longevity and functionality of a satellite.

4. How does the radiative equilibrium temperature of a satellite differ from Earth's temperature?

The radiative equilibrium temperature of a satellite is generally much colder than Earth's temperature. This is due to the lack of an atmosphere and the absence of any internal heat sources, such as the Earth's core. Satellites are also much smaller and receive less solar radiation than the Earth, which contributes to their lower temperatures.

5. Can the radiative equilibrium temperature of a satellite change?

Yes, the radiative equilibrium temperature of a satellite can change over time. Factors such as changes in the satellite's orbit, modifications to its surface properties, or alterations in the composition of its atmosphere can all impact its radiative equilibrium temperature. Additionally, as a satellite ages and its materials degrade, its ability to absorb and reflect solar radiation may also change, resulting in a different equilibrium temperature.