Radioactive Nuclear Polonium Battery Question

In summary: Po 210 would have a half life of 5.6 yrs so the power output after 1 year would be 320 x 5.6 / 1.05 = 590W
elliottmarter
Question

The α-emitter 210, 84 Po is used in a nuclear battery. The kinetic energy of the emitted alpha particles can be worked out from energy and momentum conservation. It is converted into electrical energy at 5.0% efficiency.

(a) Determine the initial power output (in W) of the battery if it contains 320 g of 210, 84 Po. Look "www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=210+Po+nuclear+decay"[/URL] (for instance) for relevant data.

(b) Determine the power output (in W) of the battery in (a) after 1 year of operation.

[RIGHT][8 marks][/RIGHT]

[U][B]Answer[/B][/U]

not sure if anyone agrees with me on this one, but this work is worth 40% of the entire module and they have the cheek to link me to a google search and effectively tell me to find all the necessary values myself, i wasn't impressed...especially when you think that you might have the knowledge to do the question and just not know where to find reliable values from...

anyway on with my answer

(a) well i would firstly use [B]kinetic energy = 1/2 mv[SUP]2[/SUP][/B] where m=mass of an alpha particle and v=emission speed then times that by amount emitted per second (activity) to get an answer in joules per second (ie Watts) then times by 0.05 for an efficiency factor of 5%

(b) find the half life of 210, 84 Po and use [B]N = N[SUB]0[/SUB] e[SUP]-[tex]\lambda[/tex] t[/SUP][/B] to find the number of nucleons left after one year then use [B]R=[tex]\lambda[/tex] N[/B] for the activity after one year, then simply repeat the method for question (a)...

i appreciate that these might be the right methods but i posted this in order to give you an idea of what values I'm searching for, if I am wrong in the solutions above please say.

any feedback would be much appreciated, thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Everything you said looks correct to me. Probably when you look up the alpha emission of Po-210, you will find the alpha emission energies directly, so you won't need to use E=1/2 mv^2.

Thanks for the reply phyzguy i was thinking i needed loads of extra info but now i realize the only bit of information about Po 210 that I could find online would be its half life as the activity and decay constant etc etc etc depend on how much of the stuff is left in this case 320g

1. What is a radioactive nuclear polonium battery?

A radioactive nuclear polonium battery is a type of battery that uses the chemical element polonium, which is highly radioactive, as its power source. It converts the energy released by the decay of polonium atoms into electricity, making it a long-lasting, high-energy-density power source.

2. How does a radioactive nuclear polonium battery work?

A radioactive nuclear polonium battery works by utilizing the natural phenomenon of radioactive decay. When polonium atoms decay, they release energy in the form of alpha particles, which are then converted into electricity by special materials called thermocouples. This electricity can then be used to power devices.

3. What are the advantages of using a radioactive nuclear polonium battery?

There are several advantages to using a radioactive nuclear polonium battery. It has a much longer lifespan compared to traditional batteries, potentially lasting for decades without needing to be replaced. It also has a high energy density, meaning it can provide a lot of power in a relatively small package. Additionally, it is not affected by extreme temperatures or weather conditions.

4. Are there any risks associated with using a radioactive nuclear polonium battery?

As with any form of nuclear material, there are risks associated with using a radioactive nuclear polonium battery. The main risk is exposure to radiation, which can be harmful to human health. However, these batteries are designed with safety measures in place to prevent any leakage of radiation. It is important to handle and dispose of them properly to minimize any potential risks.

5. What are some potential applications for radioactive nuclear polonium batteries?

Radioactive nuclear polonium batteries have a wide range of potential applications, particularly in areas where traditional batteries are not feasible. They can be used to power deep space probes and satellites, as well as implanted medical devices, such as pacemakers. They can also be useful in remote locations where regular battery replacements are difficult, such as in deep-sea exploration or for powering remote sensors.