Power output of nuclear battery

In summary, the conversation discusses the power output of a nuclear battery that uses 210Po as an alpha emitter. It is mentioned that the kinetic energy of the emitted alpha particle is converted into electrical energy at a 5% efficiency. The conversation then goes on to ask for the initial power output of the battery if it contains 200g of 210Po, as well as the power output after one year of operation. Ultimately, the solution is provided with the initial power output being 1.85 x 10^6 W and the power output after one year being 4.47 x 10^5 W.
obi-wan
[SOLVED] Power output of nuclear battery

Homework Statement

An alpha emitter 210Po is used in a nuclear battery. The kinetic energy of the emitted alpha particle is converted into electrical energy at 5% efficiency.

a) determine the initial power output (W) of the battery if it contains 200g of 210Po.
b) determine the power output (W) of the battery in part a after 1 year of operation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have worked out the following:
alpha particle= 2protons, 2 neutrons, mass= 4.031882u=3.75567GeV= ~ 6.0166x10^-10 Joules. T1/2= 138.376days

I am having difficulties applying this data I have worked out into energy from 200g of 210Po. Can some one enlighten me and put me on the right track? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
.Answer: a) The initial power output of the battery is 1.85 x 10^6 W. b) The power output of the battery after one year of operation is 4.47 x 10^5 W.

Related to Power output of nuclear battery

1. What is a nuclear battery?

A nuclear battery, also known as a radioisotope thermoelectric generator (RTG), is a device that uses the heat generated from the radioactive decay of a nuclear material to produce electricity.

2. How does a nuclear battery produce power?

A nuclear battery contains a small amount of radioactive material, such as plutonium or strontium, which emits heat as it decays. This heat is used to generate electricity through a thermoelectric process, where temperature differences are converted into electrical energy.

3. What is the power output of a nuclear battery?

The power output of a nuclear battery depends on the amount and type of radioactive material used, as well as the efficiency of the thermoelectric conversion. On average, a nuclear battery can produce between 1-100 watts of electricity.

4. How long does a nuclear battery last?

The lifespan of a nuclear battery depends on the half-life of the radioactive material used. Typically, a nuclear battery can last for several years or even decades, providing a steady source of power without the need for maintenance or replacement.

5. What are the potential uses of nuclear batteries?

Nuclear batteries can be used in remote or extreme environments where traditional power sources are not feasible, such as in space probes, deep-sea sensors, or in remote weather stations. They can also be used as a backup power source for critical systems, such as pacemakers or remote monitoring devices.