Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radioactivity is an emission of gamma particles

1. Jun 25, 2003 #1

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This may be a dumb question:

What is it about radioactivity that caused them to name it "radioactive"?

All I was taught was that radioactivity is an emission of gamma particles, beta particles, or alpha particles. I don't remember anything about radio wavelength photons.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2003 #2
    Something which is sent out

is said to be radiated. It comes from the Latin word for root, as does the word radical.

4. Jun 26, 2003 #3
    The word "radioactive" first appeared in Marie Curie's report about the discovery of polonium. I can't find this report on the net, maybe you'll be more lucky. I guess it comes from radiation...
    this is the closest explanation of the word I found

5. Jun 26, 2003 #4

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Something which is sent out

Ah! That makes sense.

"Radiate" not "Radio"

Thanks

6. Jun 26, 2003 #5

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Re: Re: Something which is sent out

Of course "radio" comes from radiate too. The station radiates its electromagnetic signal, and your radio receiver picks it up.

One of the forms of radioactive radiation is electromagnetic like radio waves and light (but much shorter in wave length). This is gamma radiation. Other forms of radioactivity are

Alpha particles (helium nuclei)
    Beta particles (electrons)
    Neutrons

The alpha, beta, and gamma names were thought up by Ernest Rutherford, a great experimantal physicist of the early 20th century. He worked at a time when they couldn't tell what the different kinbds of radiation were.

7. Jun 26, 2003 #6
  8. Jun 26, 2003 #7
    It all comes from the Latin word 'radical' as in to radiate. That's also how the element radium got its name.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?