Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radioisotope thermoelectric generator

1. Nov 8, 2007 #1
    as part of an engineering project im doing i have to briefly discuss RTGs and i would like a reference other than wikipedia to put in my bibliography. can anyone direct me to a good book or journal article which describes the design, function etc?

thanks a lot

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2007 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Look at ch. 5 in Hyder, A.K., et al, Spacecraft Power Technologies, London: Imperial College Press, 2000.

There are some useful charts in chapt 11 of
    AIAA Aerospace Design Engineers Guide (5th Edition)
    Edited by: The Design Guide Subcommittee of the AIAA Design Engineering Technical Committee © 2003 American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics

4. Nov 8, 2007 #3
    Russia made alot of RTGs back in the day. Alot of them powered lighthouses, and beacons around Siberia. Now they have a problem dismantling them.

http://www.bellona.org/english_import_area/international/russia/navy/northern_fleet/incidents/37598/

Voyager space probes, among many are powered by RTGs, miraculously they still transmit today after 25 years. Cassini Saturn probe is power by three RTGs, providing 900 Watts of power for years to come. You might want to look those up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?