Understanding the Bragg-Gray Theory and its Application in Radiophysics

• Medical
  • Thread starter AgusCF
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Bragg-Gray cavity and the equation for electronic equilibrium to calculate the dose in water for 45 MV. The person obtained similar results for both methods, which they found surprising. However, it is explained that the Bragg-Gray Theory does not require strict charged particle equilibrium, particularly at low energies.
AgusCF
If I study the dose in water with the Black-Gray cavity and the equation for electronic equilibrium... Why I obtain similar results for the same value of MV? Someone knows? Thanks! [Sorry for my english :( ]

Biology news on Phys.org
Your mean Bragg-Gray don't you? Could you please elaborate on your issue? Your question does not make sense as stated,

Likes AgusCF
gleem said:
Your mean Bragg-Gray don't you? Could you please elaborate on your issue? Your question does not make sense as stated,
Yes, sorry, Bragg- Gray. I mean (as exercise) I calculate the dose in water for 45 MV by Bragg-Gray cavity and by the equation for electronic equilibrium (i do not know its proper name) and I obtained similar values. My question is: Why? I thought that i must obtain very diferent values.
Thanks!

Bragg Gray Theory assumes that charged particle equilibrium exists at the position of a small cavity in a medium , that the ionization produced in the cavity is proportional to the absorbed dose and that the cavity does not significantly change the spectral characteristics of the ionizing radiation at the cavity position.

Likes AgusCF
gleem said:
Bragg Gray Theory assumes that charged particle equilibrium exists at the position of a small cavity in a medium , that the ionization produced in the cavity is proportional to the absorbed dose and that the cavity does not significantly change the spectral characteristics of the ionizing radiation at the cavity position.
Well I found the answer. It seems that the charged particle equilibrium it is not a restrictive condition; particulary at low energies is less restrictive than at high energies.

Thanks for your aid!

1. What is Radiophysics Bragg-Gray?

Radiophysics Bragg-Gray is a method used in radiation dosimetry to measure the absorbed dose of ionizing radiation in a material. It is named after physicists William Henry Bragg and his son William Lawrence Bragg, who developed the Bragg-Gray method in the early 1900s.

2. How does the Bragg-Gray method work?

The Bragg-Gray method involves measuring the ionization produced by radiation in a material, typically a gas or a solid. This ionization is then converted into an electrical signal, which can be measured and correlated to the absorbed dose of radiation in the material.

3. What are the advantages of using Radiophysics Bragg-Gray?

The Bragg-Gray method is a reliable and accurate way to measure the absorbed dose of radiation. It is also relatively simple and inexpensive compared to other methods, making it a popular choice for radiation dosimetry in research and medical settings.

4. What are the limitations of the Bragg-Gray method?

One limitation of the Bragg-Gray method is that it is only suitable for measuring the absorbed dose of ionizing radiation. It cannot measure other forms of radiation, such as non-ionizing radiation. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurements can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and humidity.

5. How is Radiophysics Bragg-Gray used in medical applications?

The Bragg-Gray method is commonly used in medical physics to measure the absorbed dose of radiation in patients undergoing radiation therapy. It helps ensure that the prescribed dose is delivered accurately and helps monitor the effects of radiation on the patient's tissues. It is also used in quality assurance measures for radiation equipment in medical facilities.