Radius of Curvature: Definition & Meaning

In summary, the radius of curvature is the radius of a circle or sphere that the surface is part of. For a concave mirror, the radius of curvature is equal to 2f, where f is the focal length. However, for a lens, the radius of curvature is generally not equal to 2f. The center of the arc in a diagram of the radius of curvature is O, as it is part of a circle. This formula only applies to spherical concave mirrors.
mkbh_10
What is radius of curvature and why is it equal to 2f where f is the focal length of a lens or a mirror ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can check the definition in this : ttp://mathworld.wolfram.com/RadiusofCurvature.html

The radius of a spherical mirror is equal to 2f : that's right. But the lense : I am not sure.
You can see in the attached picture: AOF is an isosceles triangle.

Attachments

• mirror.JPG
    mirror.JPG
    4.1 KB · Views: 749
but looking at th diagram I don't see where the centre of that arc is.

mkbh_10 said:
What is radius of curvature and why is it equal to 2f where f is the focal length of a lens or a mirror ?

For a concave mirror see

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/geoopt/mireq.html#c1

For a lens, the radius of curvature (it can be different for the front and back surfaces of a lens) is generally not equal to 2f. For the focal length of a lens see

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/geoopt/foclen.html#c2

and

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/geoopt/lenmak.html#c1

What is the significance of radius of curvature ?

Imagine that the surface is part of a circle or sphere. The radius of curvature is the radius of that circle/sphere.

Last edited:
Likes gracy
whydoesitwork said:
but looking at th diagram I don't see where the centre of that arc is.

In my picture, the arc center is O because it is a part of a cicle. Remember that diagram and thurs formula only fits for a spherical concave mirror.

PS. Sorry I can not login my nick pixel01 because I forgot the pw and unfortunately the email address has been expired.

1. What is the definition of radius of curvature?

The radius of curvature is a measure of the curvature of a curve at a particular point. It is the radius of the circular arc that best approximates the curve at that point.

2. How is the radius of curvature calculated?

The radius of curvature can be calculated using the formula R = (1 + (dy/dx)^2)^(3/2) / (d^2y/dx^2), where dy/dx is the derivative of the curve at the point of interest and d^2y/dx^2 is the second derivative.

3. What is the significance of the radius of curvature?

The radius of curvature is an important measure in mathematics and physics as it helps us understand the shape and behavior of curves. It is used in various applications such as optics, mechanics, and geometry.

4. How does the radius of curvature relate to the curvature of a curve?

The radius of curvature is inversely proportional to the curvature of a curve. This means that a smaller radius of curvature indicates a greater curvature, while a larger radius of curvature indicates a flatter curve.

5. Can the radius of curvature be negative?

Yes, the radius of curvature can be negative. This occurs when the curve is concave downwards and the curvature is in the opposite direction of the positive x-axis. In such cases, the radius of curvature is shown as a negative value.