1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Raioactive Dating Problem

1. Jan 20, 2010 #1
    Bones of the wooly mammoth have been found in North America. The youngest of these bones has a 14C activity per gram of carbon that is about 21% of what was present in the live animal. How long ago (in years) did this animal disappear from North America?

I'm struggling with this problem - is it simply a mathematical problem - working out how many half-lives (5730 years) cause 21% to be left?
    Or, do i have top work out the Decay constant λ then use ΔN/Δt = -λ N ?

If it is simply a mathematical Can anyone tell me how to do it please.
    If I have to find the Decay constant, I'm still stumped on the mathematics involved.

Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You just need the ratio of N_now, N_orig and the half life.
    The equation is derived here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-life

Hint, estimate how many half lives you would need to get 25% of the c14 left - it's easy to get logs the wrong way around in the calculator
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  4. Jan 20, 2010 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, both methods are mathematical! There is no difference between them. The differential equation dN/dt = -λN has an exponentially decaying solution: N(t) = N0e-λt, where the constant N0 is the original amount.

You can easily express this as an exponential function having base 2 instead of base e. That will tell you the relation between the half-life and λ. That is how the two methods are related. That having been said, since you already know the half-life, you can probably use the first method you suggested.
  5. Jan 22, 2010 #4
    Thanks a lot - great help!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook