1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ramp function question?

1. Sep 22, 2012 #1
    Quick question on the ramp function, the ramp function can operate like a unit step when used in a gate function correct? Like would r(t)-r(t-2)=r(t)(r(2-t)) my teacher and book gave a really poor explanation of how the ramp function behaves, I know it only has significance when its arg>0. And that like a unit step r(-t) is a reflection across the y axis. It makes since to me that it is but I would appreciate some verification here.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey jesse7771 and welcome to the forums.

In terms of a general function f(-x) in compared to f(x), the function will always be reflected about the y-axis for any function not just a unit or ramp function.

In terms of those other properties, a good way to check these is to break them up into parts when the ramp starts and when it's zero and just do a piece-wise check. If you have to show these properties mathematically, you just do this symbolically.

So as an example for the step function we know that h(t-a) can be analytic when you split it up at t < a and t >= a (or whatever definition you use). If you have two functions like this you get four partitions and then you just consider all of those individually.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook