Random Photos

In summary: I only remember the Canadian part.I took this photo of some Canadian wolves a few weeks ago.In summary, the photo is of Canadian wolves.
Here's a great shot of a Bridal Veil Stinkhorn.
Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 7.51.42 AM.png

It's from a article in Science about how mushrooms/fungi keep ecosystems good for plants.

This reminds me of something I read a while ago: the great coal deposits of the carboniferous (ancient carbon sequestration event) were a result of not having the fungi to breakdown the plants when they died.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes morrobay, collinsmark, Bystander and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Something really experimental this time...

I've been thinking about testing the pinhole camera technique for quite some time, and I finally got around to do it. I made a "pinhole lens" (well, it's not actually a lens) from a camera body cap by drilling a hole in the cap, covering the hole with black tape and then punching a small hole in the tape with a needle:

1 - Pinhole Lens.jpg

My first test object was my cat.

Cat (with pinhole cap, exposure: 2 seconds):
2 - Cissi (2 s).jpg

Cat (with pinhole cap, exposure: 4 seconds):
3 - Cissi (4 s).jpg

Cat (with pinhole cap, exposure: 5 seconds):
4 - Cissi (5 s).jpg

As you can see the photos get very, very soft and "dreamy".

It's pretty fun that photos can be taken with just a small hole in front of the camera sensor. :smile:
I'm going to try experimenting with it outside in nature, to see if I can get "dreamy" atmospheres.

Likes Oldman too, BillTre and collinsmark
DennisN said:
Something really experimental this time...

I've been thinking about testing the pinhole camera technique for quite some time, and I finally got around to do it. I made a "pinhole lens" (well, it's not actually a lens) from a camera body cap by drilling a hole in the cap, covering the hole with black tape and then punching a small hole in the tape with a needle:

View attachment 301427

My first test object was my cat.

Cat (with pinhole cap, exposure: 2 seconds):
View attachment 301428

Cat (with pinhole cap, exposure: 4 seconds):
View attachment 301429

Cat (with pinhole cap, exposure: 5 seconds):
View attachment 301430

As you can see the photos get very, very soft and "dreamy".

It's pretty fun that photos can be taken with just a small hole in front of the camera sensor. :smile:
I'm going to try experimenting with it outside in nature, to see if I can get "dreamy" atmospheres.
Yes, this is a neat thing to do, you haven't done it before. :biggrin:

Years ago, I did the same experimentation with a film camera. But a digital camera sounds a lot easier.

Aside from experimenting with just the aperture of the hole, you also might try using a tube or somesuch to experiment with focal length. For example, if you want to emulate a standard 50 mm lens, ensure the pinhole is 50 mm from the sensor plane. For a 100 mm "lens," ensure the pinhole is 100 mm away.

And of course, bring a tripod.

• Informative
Likes Oldman too, BillTre and DennisN
Sure some "connected " people go into this no name place. Naklua, Thailand

IMG_20220514_091911.jpg

Last edited:
My day/night Thai massage friend.
IMG_20220512_150357.jpg
IMG_20220513_201847.jpg

Today I found out how this strip of grass and weeds gets mowed. It contains a drainage ditch, and runs in front of a vacant lot along one side of the street a couple of blocks from my house. I've never seen this particular device before. The operator has to make a couple of passes in order to do both sides of the ditch.

At first I thought it was a city employee, but the vehicle doesn't have the city's logo on it, so now I suspect the property owner must have hired the guy.

mower.jpg

• Informative
Likes collinsmark, morrobay, berkeman and 3 others
jtbell said:
I've never seen this particular device before.
Here in Montana that's how the state and county crews mow, what's different in your picture is that I don̓t see any caution or warning signs to warn passing motorists and pedestrians. Those mowers will chop off a 3 to 4 inch branch as easily as it will cut a blade of grass, not to mention launching a piece of said branch at lethal velocities. I never see them operating without some type of warning, too much liability. I would assume the operator is a private contractor as most State, County or City departments are very particular about liabilty and insurance. The other clue would be, did the mower only mow the strip in the photo or continue on down the road like a normal city crew would do, completing the area in sections.

jtbell said:
Today I found out how this strip of grass and weeds gets mowed.
Could you tell what that black box thingie is in the front of the tractor?

berkeman said:
Could you tell what that black box thingie is in the front of the tractor?
Counterweight most likely, along with the rear wheel weights they are important for stability on uneven surfaces when the mower boom swings. It could also be a hydraulic fluid reservoir which in itself would make a good counterweight.

Likes BillTre
Oldman too said:
Counterweight most likely, along with the rear wheel weights they are important for stability on uneven surfaces when the mower boom swings. It could also be a hydraulic fluid reservoir which in itself would make a good counterweight.
It looks like there may indeed be a counterweight black box thing to the driver's left, but a counterweight on the front would have to be for a heavy appliance on the rear...

1652729127741.png

Likes morrobay
berkeman said:
but a counterweight on the front would have to be for a heavy appliance on the rear...
Yes, upon zooming the image I see that the box on the drivers side is definitely the Hydraulic fluid reservoir, that means the box on the front is a counterweight to offset the mowing attachment. (although it could be a beer cooler) :wink:

berkeman said:
It looks like there may indeed be a counterweight black box thing to the driver's left,
Well, it's just googlework, but apparently this mower is not back, but side mounted. The black box on the other side is the alternative mounting point, while the front monstrosity is the hydraulics pump/tank.
Since it's side mounted, the counterweight is on the other side: it is attached to the rear wheel :smile:

Rive said:
Since it's side mounted, the counterweight is on the other side: it is attached to the rear wheel
Ah, I wondered what that was. Good catch!

And I like the beer cooler idea better for the front box. :smile:

Rive said:
Well, it's just googlework, but apparently this mower is not back, but side mounted.
Good googlework, Your correct on the boom mount location, I didn't notice until looking closer. One thing that threw me was that I didn't realize how small the tractor was until looking at the operator in the cab. The front box in that case, very well could be a PTO pump, reservoir. the black box on the right side with the yellow stripe in the top corner is also a main Hydraulic fluid reservoir, but an auxiliary tank would make sense if combined with a front PTO pump. The mower attachment needs a large capacity reservoir to maintain flow and temperature control. If @jtbell gets another chance to get a closer look that would clear up that question, hard to tell as the resolution blows up pretty bad when trying to see details. Pardon the delay in my reply's, having a bad day with connectivity issues.

Oldman too said:
did the mower only mow the strip in the photo or continue on down the road like a normal city crew would do, completing the area in sections.
I didn't hang around long enough to see what he did at the edge of the vacant property. I'm pretty sure he must have stopped there, because homeowners are responsible for maintaining the city-owned strip of land between their property line and the street. It might look odd if the city did it, but on a different schedule from all the homeowners. Of course, we all do our lawns (or have our lawn guys do them) on different schedules anyway...

• Informative
Likes Oldman too
jtbell said:
I didn't hang around long enough to see what he did at the edge of the vacant property. I'm pretty sure he must have stopped there, because homeowners are responsible for maintaining the city-owned strip of land between their property line and the street. It might look odd if the city did it, but on a different schedule from all the homeowners. Of course, we all do our lawns (or have our lawn guys do them) on different schedules anyway...
Hi @jtbell, Thanks for the answer. The tractor could be a new piece of city equipment or a private contractor, hard to tell. If you get a chance to see the tractor again, there is a question about the black attachment on the front of it. Is it a hydraulic reservoir/pump assembly or a counterweight?
It could be either one and it's hard to tell from the photo that you posted, If you get a chance to check that out it would be greatly appreciated, although not a critical point it is a curiosity that was being discussed. Thanks again, Scott

While walking my dog I noticed that...

The Flower Boat is Blooming!
IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg
They might want to shake off the cover.

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes Oldman too, collinsmark, morrobay and 2 others
Low tide, Pattaya bay. South end
IMG_20220519_113749.jpg
IMG_20220519_114624.jpg

Last edited:
Likes DennisN and BillTre
Looking North from North end of bay.
IMG_20220517_140415.jpg

Likes Oldman too and DennisN
Same sunset : NW and SW views
IMG_20220523_185956.jpg
IMGIMG_20220523_182751_493.jpg

DennisN said:
I'm actually thinking of going back to Copenhagen soon, and bring a bike with me on the train and then bike around in the city to places I haven't been to.

I'm thinking of maybe going to the Little Mermaid (which truly is small :smile:, I've been there) and try to take some kind of unusual photo of her if possible (probably in the late evening and with some lighting, or something, I haven't decided yet :smile:).

Yes, the little mermaid is very photogenic. Which might be a way of saying when you go there she is quite disappointing after the photos. (People do often say so.) But if you're going there as a photographer, not just a tourist, you have I hope a lot of time to hang around, consider the various angles of the Sun during the day and the effects achievable with your special Russian lenses etc.

All the better if you were going there with your bike. Not that you need to take a bike to Copenhagen as you already know - I don't know any city so totally dominated by bikes – not even in the Netherlands did I ever see anything like it. But if you have some special bike of your own all the better. Just don't forget and leave it there like Mr Wheeler.

Immagine 665.jpg

Last edited:
Likes morrobay and DennisN
Lucky shot of the day:

DSC_1341 copy.jpg

Perfect focus, too! (1:1 crop)
DSC_1341 copy.jpg

• Love
Likes collinsmark, Borg, epenguin and 7 others
Andy Resnick said:
Lucky shot of the day:
A beautiful bird and a beautiful photo! Was it taken with a manual lens or an autofocus lens? And was it a tele or a zoom lens?

epenguin said:
But if you're going there as a photographer, not just a tourist, you have I hope a lot of time to hang around

epenguin said:
All the better if you were going there with your bike.
I've made a map with places in Copenhagen to visit/photo locations, for instance:

Nyhavn, the nice old waterfront district (I've been there before, but it was probably twenty years ago):

Nyhavn_5-15%2C_Kbh_2020.jpg

Photo by Vincents productions (Creative Commons, Wikipedia)

Niels Bohr Institute (founded by Niels Bohr) (I've never been there):

Niels_Bohr_Institute_1.jpg

Photo by Thue, public domain

Rundetaarn, the 17th-century astronomical tower (I've been there, but I haven't photographed it):

Copenhagen_-_Rundet%C3%A5rn_-_2013.jpg

Photo by Avda (Creative Commons, Wikipedia)

Copenhagen Botanical Garden (I've never been there):

Botanisk-Have-Kbh-190807.jpg

Photo by Henrik Jessen (Creative Commons, Wikipedia)

Last edited:
Likes BillTre, Oldman too, morrobay and 1 other person
Street flower (shot during a short lens test yesterday):
02 - Blommor på Friisgatan (Tokina 28mm f2.8 (FD mount)).jpg

Plants escaping the fence (another test shot):
06 - Majtid på Spångatan (Tokina 28mm f2.8 (FD mount)).jpg

I also recently found a new fun glass toy in a second hand store just a block away (this was not the lens I tested above). It's a fast 40mm, which is a pretty uncommon focal length. It's a quite good lens, and the price was merely $12, so of course I bought it. :smile:

Konica Hexanon AR 40mm f/1.8
Konica Hexanon AR 40mm f1.8.jpg

Likes Oldman too, epenguin, collinsmark and 2 others
Likes DennisN, morrobay, Oldman too and 2 others
IMG20220529063821.jpg
IMG20220529064138.jpg

20220528_195721.jpg

Beautiful Black on Black 🖤🖤🖤
IMG_20220529_193104.jpg
IMG_20220529_192112.jpg

Likes DennisN
DennisN said:
I've made a map with places in Copenhagen to visit/photo locations, for instance:

Nyhavn, the nice old waterfront district (I've been there before, but it was probably twenty years ago):

View attachment 301967

View attachment 301968
Photo by Thue, publ
DennisN said:

View attachment 301967

View attachment 301968
Photo by Thue, public domain

Rundetaarn, the 17th-century astronomical tower (I've been there, but I haven't photographed it):

View attachment 301969
Photo by Avda (Creative Commons, Wikipedia)

Copenhagen Botanical Garden (I've never been there):

View attachment 301970
Photo by Henrik Jessen (Creative Commons, Wikipedia)

I was there mainly for about a week sometime around roughly the same year as you. (Very much later than Mr. Wheeler).

Copenhagen is outstanding for design

Immagine 688.jpg
Immagine 686.jpg
Immagine 685.jpg

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff and DennisN
A happy lamp :smile: :

Happy Lamp.jpg

• Love
Likes collinsmark, Ibix, dlgoff and 1 other person
A couple of days ago I heard a complaint from one of my cupboards.
It was my macro lens which said "You bought me and tried me at home, you liked me, but you have never took me out anywhere. Why?"

So I took the lens out for a walk.

We found a daisy...
52111226967_7d43bfce0b_o.png

...and then a dandelion seedhead...
52112498469_64ce87d5dd_o.png

...and while we were sitting in the grass we noticed there were bees feeding on flowers, so we took a shot at those, even though we hadn't planned it. It's not easy with a manual lens, you've got between ca 1 - 3 seconds to focus and shoot before the bee takes off (as a result only about 3 out of 45 photos had reasonable focus :smile:).

DSC03969(cropped).png

DSC03990(cropped).png

And when we got home and looked at the photos, we noticed we had accidentally shot an ant climbing up a violet flower:

Myra klättrar på en violett blomma.png

I think the lens is promising also for ants.
I focused on the flower (down below) and not the ant (since I didn't know there was an ant), so with better focus next time, more ant details may come out. :smile:

Lens used: Canon nFD Macro 50mm f/3.5.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Oldman too, Bystander, BillTre and 5 others
DennisN said:
A beautiful bird and a beautiful photo! Was it taken with a manual lens or an autofocus lens? And was it a tele or a zoom lens?

Thanks! Manual focus lens (800mm, shot at f/8). I was standing about 20 feet away from the hummingbird (female ruby-throated hummingbird, FWIW) and it flew off right after the photo.

• Informative
Likes DennisN
DennisN said:
I also recently found a new fun glass toy in a second hand store just a block away (this was not the lens I tested above). It's a fast 40mm, which is a pretty uncommon focal length. It's a quite good lens, and the price was merely $12, so of course I bought it. :smile:

Konica Hexanon AR 40mm f/1.8
View attachment 302014
That *is* a great lens, I have one as well!

Likes DennisN