Random Photos

In summary: I only remember the Canadian part.I took this photo of some Canadian wolves a few weeks ago.In summary, the photo is of Canadian wolves.
BadgerBadger92 said:
the second one
You know how wet sidewalks smell, kind of a mineral smell? That's what the second photo there does to me. I smell wet concrete in a drizzly rain. And to me, evoking smells is nostalgic, memories from childhood. Like the kid running down the sidewalk.

Love it.

Physics news on Phys.org
honk.jpg

"Nah, we can honk better than that guy!"

Likes collinsmark, BillTre and DennisN
Tonight I tried something for fun which I had never done before.
It was a full moon and there was a distinct sphere of moonlight around it, and I got the idea of trying to take a photo of both the Moon itself with details and the moonlight around it.

To do this in one shot is AFAIK impossible with ordinary gear (maybe there is some special equipment which can dim a particular area only, I don't know). The reason is that you need very different exposure times for the Moon and moonlight.

So I shot it using two different exposure times, and then I merged them in Photoshop. :smile:

51688734347_25721435c3_h.jpg

Photo info:

Moonlight shot at ISO 1600, 1/20 s exposure.
Moon shot at ISO 1600, 1/1000 s exposure, 25% of 50 stacked photos.
Gear: Sony A6000 with a Canon FD 135mm f/3.5 and a Canon 2x Teleconverter.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Informative
Likes Hamiltonian, berkeman, collinsmark and 4 others
DennisN said:
Tonight I tried something for fun which I had never done before.
It was a full moon and there was a distinct sphere of moonlight around it, and I got the idea of trying to take a photo of both the Moon itself with details and the moonlight around it.

To do this in one shot is AFAIK impossible with ordinary gear (maybe there is some special equipment which can dim a particular area only, I don't know). The reason is that you need very different exposure times for the Moon and moonlight.

So I shot it using two different exposure times, and then I merged them in Photoshop. :smile:

View attachment 292608

Photo info:

Moonlight shot at ISO 1600, 1/20 s exposure.
Moon shot at ISO 1600, 1/1000 s exposure, 25% of 50 stacked photos.
Gear: Sony A6000 with a Canon FD 135mm f/3.5 and a Canon 2x Teleconverter.

That's a beautiful image.

Yes, it's true that sometimes it is necessary to take multiple exposures (or separate stacks, each stack using a different exposure setting) for different objects/targets/facets in the same frame. Then combine them into a single image in post-processing.

I'm using "exposure setting" here liberally, because it could mean change the camera's gain/ISO setting, not just the exposure time.

Here's an image I took of the Great Conjunction on Dec. 21st, 2020. The image was made by capturing tens of thousands of individual frames, over the course of about 25 minutes, using a few different camera gain settings to increase dynamic range. They were then stacked using lucky imaging techniques and combined.

2020-12-22_Great Conjuction02_Annotated.jpg

There's no way I could have gotten all of Jupiter, Saturn, and the moons using a single set of exposure time and gain setting, without blowing highlights or having something getting lost in the noise.

---

In normal, terrestrial photography, there's a whole technique called "HDR," standing for "High Dynamic Range," where the same subject is photographed typically three times, each with a different exposure, then those exposures are combined in post processing. Here is an article on it.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/what-is-hdr-photography/

Note that the same term and initialism is used to describe TVs and computer monitors with high brightness and deep darks, which have almost nothing to do with HDR photography. 'Just wanted to point that out: HDR photography and HDR monitors are different beasts.

That said, some rendering engines in video games use HDR techniques similar to HDR photography, even if they don't support HDR monitors. And other video games are capable of supporting HDR monitors.

So yeah, when looking up the term "HDR" and/or "High Dynamic Range," it might refer to different things depending on the context.

• Love
  • Informative
Likes BillTre, DennisN and Keith_McClary
collinsmark said:
That's a beautiful image.
Thanks! It was fun to do. :smile:
collinsmark said:
There's no way I could have gotten all of Jupiter, Saturn, and the moons using a single set of exposure time and gain setting, without blowing highlights or having something getting lost in the noise.
I understand. I've realized that during my own initial tests with Jupiter. Jupiter is just a small dot in the night sky, but it can be amazingly bright in my small scope :smile:.

Likes collinsmark
Photographers and camera equipment lined up in preparation for a nuclear test at Bikini Atoll, 1946:

photographer.jpg

• Wow
  • Informative
Likes nsaspook, dlgoff, collinsmark and 2 others
Living in Kansas, you get some cool sunsets. Here are some photos I just took using my Canon "point and shoot".
small IMG_3704.jpg

small IMG_3705.jpg

small IMG_3706.jpg

small IMG_3707.jpg

• Love
Likes rsk, Keith_McClary, DennisN and 2 others
PXL_20211107_230448334.jpg

Turbo molecular pump salad.

• Love
Likes rsk, collinsmark, DennisN and 3 others
jack action said:
Photographers and camera equipment lined up in preparation for a nuclear test at Bikini Atoll, 1946:

I found that image somewhere and sent/emailed it to my pilot daughter. I wonder how much the cameras weigh and if they could have all fit in that airplane?

edit: now that I think about it, I might have saved then sent your image.

dlgoff said:
I wonder how much the cameras weigh and if they could have all fit in that airplane?
I think there was more than a single airplane to cover all possible angles.

• Informative
Likes dlgoff
jack action said:

I found that image somewhere and sent/emailed it to my pilot daughter.
jack action said:
I think there was more than a single airplane to cover all possible angles.
That makes sense.

dlgoff said:
Okay, okay, These are the last ones. I took these two summers ago.
Cool yellow lights. It reminds me of a sunrise shot I took a couple of years ago.

(Taken with my mobile phone. Some weird house angles here since it's a stitched panorama, and I probably wasn't experienced with the stitching process.)
Morgonhimmel-4b-m1.jpg

• Love
Likes Hamiltonian, morrobay, dlgoff and 1 other person
IMG_20211024_150836.jpg

Likes DennisN, dlgoff and BillTre
IMG_20201203_174032.jpg

• Love
Likes collinsmark, DennisN, dlgoff and 2 others
IMG_20210912_095610.jpg
< River weeds wash up

Likes DennisN, dlgoff and BillTre
I was out testing my newly acquired fast ultra-wide lens which I bought in used condition (but it was hardly used at all, so it was in excellent condition). It's a Samyang/Rokinon 12mm f/2.0.

It seems to deliver as promised. It seems great for low-light photography, and I've planned to use it for e.g. landscape photography and wide photography of the night sky.

It has a seriously wide field of view. Currently I'm very used to photographing with focal lengths between 35 and 135 mm, which on cropped sensor cameras like mine translates to standard, portrait and tele focal lengths. So when I first tried this 12mm it was a completely new experience. It felt liked being pushed back 10 - 20 meters or something. The "distance feel" I had for taking photos was challenged, as I repeatedly saw my targets getting too small in the view :smile:. I guess this will settle with experience.

I was just out to test it for a while, but I ended up taking about 100 photos during the test, which I think is a good sign that it's a lens I'll be using in the future :smile:.

One wide-angle night photo:
(the original was brighter than this, but I made it a bit darker in the editing)

51708547448_fdfa0c2476_c.jpg

• Love
Likes morrobay, collinsmark, Keith_McClary and 2 others
Go Blue! Michigan beats Ohio State for the first time in nine years IIRC.

IMG_0027.jpg

I lived across the street from the stadium for most of my time in grad school.

• Love
Likes Borg, DennisN, berkeman and 1 other person
DennisN said:
So when I first tried this 12mm it was a completely new experience. It felt liked being pushed back 10 - 20 meters or something. The "distance feel" I had for taking photos was challenged, as I repeatedly saw my targets getting too small in the view :smile:. I guess this will settle with experience.

Yeah, it's like a secret weapon. You may not use it often, but every once in awhile nothing else will do.

Here's a image I took somewhere around 20 years ago (somewhere in the vicinity of Ballina Ireland [Lough Conn maybe? I can't remember] It's somewhere in County Mayo, anyway), with a 12-24 mm zoom lens.
Pontoonboat.jpg

---
Now that you have a wide angle, try this: you can take some interesting portraits with it. Try taking a picture with somebody standing up, with the camera right next to their head/face, but angled slightly down to get their whole body in, down to their feet. The results make them look kinda cartoonish. You can use this to make some very interesting, approachable, non-threatening portraits.

• Informative
Likes morrobay, dlgoff, Keith_McClary and 2 others
collinsmark said:
Here's a image I took somewhere around 20 years ago
A beautiful photo! :)

Thanks for the info about close-ups, I will try it!

I actually had not planned to get this 12mm, since I thought it was too expensive as new (and there are some more items I am considering getting, maybe a tracker. I'm still thinking about it). And I think you are well aware that both photography gear and astro gear can get expensive, hehe. :)

But I had read about this lens before from various people doing astrophotography (e.g. Milky Way shots), so when I found it on an auction site for ca 40% of the price as new, I could not resist it. A fun thing is that there was a polarizing filter on it too, which I checked out on the net because I did not know the brand. And that filter alone costed (as new) about as much as I paid for the lens (and filter) :).

Last edited:
Likes collinsmark
Likes DennisN, morrobay, collinsmark and 1 other person
I like it @dlgoff!

The subtleties in the clouds are nice. Don't see that a lot in pictures I think.
I like top-down airplane shots of clouds also.

Likes dlgoff
Plasma burns on a vacuum chamber insulator.
PXL_20211130_174429411.jpgPXL_20211130_174229012.jpgPXL_20211130_174022154.jpg

• Wow
  • Love
Likes DennisN, Keith_McClary, BillTre and 1 other person
We just got some snow here. Not much, but I took the opportunity to train my snow photography a bit.

I remember I've had difficulties with photographing snow scenes before. The photos often got overexposed if there was much snow. But I read a bit about it online this time and decided to try with a CPL filter (circular polarizer/linear) in front of the lens this time which some suggested.

Snow on brown leaves:
51720340920_4a5eba3b31_c.jpg

Snow on a wooden table:
51720126049_cb1b5793a8_c.jpg

Close-up of snow and ice on wood table:
(a part of the table above, I used extension tubes here which enables macrophotography)
51719722613_11a2d0e1fa_c.jpg

(all three taken with Canon FD 50mm f/1.8)

• Love
Likes jtbell, Hamiltonian, collinsmark and 3 others
Last edited:
Likes DennisN
The Big Guy of the season at our town's Christmas parade today.

EA4FBD3C-1E58-4A0F-8168-D06BE3E51DC1.jpeg

And one of his little helpers.

E44B670B-FA1C-4544-BEA5-A7C354F3740D.jpeg

Last edited:
Likes collinsmark and DennisN
Christmas time in the city.

(this time I was out testing my newly acquired vintage Canon nFD 50mm f/1.4 which was sent to me all the way from Japan. It's a really fast "fifty" (gathers a lot of light) and I very much enjoyed shooting with it, so I am pleased with my buy :smile:)

51725730703_a8b2b4d4f2_c.jpg

(composite wide-angle (stitched photos), 1/15 s exposure, f/4, ISO 400)

Likes collinsmark, jtbell and morrobay
DennisN said:
Christmas time in the city.
Gustav, Malmö?

Likes DennisN
Jonathan Scott said:
Gustav, Malmö?
That's correct! :smile: Have you been there?

DennisN said:
That's correct! :smile: Have you been there?
No, but I lived in Göteborg in the 1980s and I had the vague idea that it might be a square in Malmö (perhaps from something on TV), so I did a Google search on Malmö Christmas and spotted it immediately. I enjoyed that time of year in Sweden (including the St Lucia celebrations, with lussekatter and glögg).

Likes DennisN
Jonathan Scott said:
(including the St Lucia celebrations, with lussekatter and glögg)
I was actually drinking glögg (non-alcoholic) at home when I edited my photos yesterday :smile:, because I felt quite cold after the long photo walk.

(for those who don't know what it is, it's mulled wine, also known as Glühwein in Germany and Austria)

Likes rsk, collinsmark and Jonathan Scott
Here are a couple photos that I just took of my Kansas skies:
small IMG_3719.jpg

small IMG_3720.jpg

small IMG_3719.jpg

I can't resist taking photos of my skies:
small IMG_3720.jpg

small IMG_3722.jpg

small IMG_3723.jpg

I'm not sure that these photos got loaded in the correct order I wanted.

Last edited:
Likes rsk, Hamiltonian, morrobay and 3 others
Likes rsk, collinsmark, Hamiltonian and 3 others