Random Photos

In summary: I only remember the Canadian part.I took this photo of some Canadian wolves a few weeks ago.In summary, the photo is of Canadian wolves.
Andy Resnick said:
but the really weird optical stuff happens when you walk under it and look up
The last photo is really weird, and cool!
Is the "top" of the sculpture solid, or?
I mean, is there a hole or not in it "upwards", so to say?

Physics news on Phys.org
DennisN said:
I raise the flag of UK and good ol' Rome here, @pinball1970 & @Astranut ... :smile:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What have the Romans ever done for us? (inspired by this, of course)

Sidenote: I remember we went to Bath (Somerset) too, partly because there are Roman-built baths there (Aquae Sulis). But for some reason I did not take any photos of them. Maybe my camera was full.
Ah well, maybe I can make up for it. Bath, bath, here is water flowing into

CB6A8322-49E0-4F8E-9B2C-8F019F859B22.jpeg
EC245D64-1028-4794-808B-1FA980CA75CF.jpeg
2F57523B-A4EB-4FE7-825B-EA7D7D3848DF.jpeg

the bath.

24CB980C-17AC-437A-98AD-8635FD8B2601.jpeg

After another thousand + years, others thought they could affirm their presence, beliefs...

7EB91BC5-A301-4A3D-B9B3-63776C6FD2F1.jpeg

but still

9478D5D7-4A00-4D88-AAE7-3FF023A35072.jpeg

Oh, yes.
8B8969C4-C1A0-4062-BC61-A8DE7A1AEA3E.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes morrobay, collinsmark, pinball1970 and 1 other person
epenguin said:
Lovely to see!
When I saw your photos I got a strong desire to return to UK. :smile:

Likes pinball1970
epenguin said:

View attachment 321678View attachment 321679View attachment 321680

the bath.

View attachment 321681

After another thousand + years, others thought they could affirm their presence, beliefs...

View attachment 321682

but still

View attachment 321683

Oh, yes.
View attachment 321684
Amazing. You and @DennisN putting me to shame. My son and niece both went to Bath and text me with the history.
My response was apoplectic, 'I am your father of course I know the bloody history!'
Son. "ok. But I am here."

Like I said Brits need to forget sun and sand and see these things.

• Haha
Likes DennisN
Ivan Seeking said:
Did you take that shot?
No. Found it on the internet. I was trying to find the site I got it from so I could edit the post and reference it, but couldn't find the site again.

Likes Ivan Seeking
dlgoff said:
No. Found it on the internet. I was trying to find the site I got it from so I could edit the post and reference it, but couldn't find the site again.

I was going to say that was quite the catch!!! :oldlaugh:

dlgoff said:
Spy balloon is over northeast Kansas
No, no, no... It's not a Spy Balloon. It's just a Chinese weather balloon that got blown a little off course while over China... :oldeyes:

• Haha
Likes Borg, dlgoff and DennisN
berkeman said:
No, no, no... It's not a Spy Balloon. It's just a Chinese weather balloon that got blown a little off course while over China... :oldeyes:
I'm hearing on the news that they don't want to shoot it down because of falling debris. I'm wondering if there's something inside that could be really bad.

dlgoff said:
I'm hearing on the news that they don't want to shoot it down because of falling stuff. I'm wondering if there's something inside that could be really bad.
My impression was that they didn't want the debris falling where there could be people. Not to mention the fighter jet's cannon fire going through the balloon and strafing some poor campers on the ground miles away. It seems like there should be some way to bring it down in a reasonably controlled way, but it's really high up right now, so we don't have any simple bow-and-arrow ways to start deflating it. Maybe it's time for the Skunk Works to do a quick killer weather balloon project... :smile:

• Informative
Likes BillTre and dlgoff
Okay, it looks like we will let it traverse the US and then use it for target practice when it crosses the Atlantic coast...

balloon.jpg

Likes morrobay
berkeman said:
Okay, it looks like we will let it traverse the US and then use it for target practice when it crosses the Atlantic coast...

View attachment 321706
That is stupid unless they plan to retrieve it. As former Sec of Defense Leon Panetta stated earlier, we need to bring it down and figure out what information they might have collected. It flew over many areas of the US where we have sensitive defense secrets.

berkeman said:
Not to mention the fighter jet's cannon fire going through the balloon and strafing some poor campers on the ground miles away.
Ice-based shrapnel or a fuel dump over the ballon followed by flares maybe.

Likes BillTre
IMG_20230204_172200.jpg
IMG_20230204_121734_1.jpg
IMG_20230204_121740_1.jpg

Likes BillTre, Ivan Seeking, DennisN and 2 others
Borg said:
Ice-based shrapnel or a fuel dump over the ballon followed by flares maybe.
Is it too high for a drone to have a go at it?

• #1,000
pinball1970 said:
Is it too high for a drone to have a go at it?
I think it's too high. Somewhere around 60,000 feet.

Likes pinball1970
  • #1,001
epenguin said:
@epenguin , I thought the last photo in your post depicted a Roman, but it seems to actually be a Celtic and Roman mix.

Aquae Sulis (Wikipedia) said:
Aquae Sulis (Latin for Waters of Sulis) was a small town in the Roman province of Britannia. Today it is the English city of Bath, Somerset.

and

Sulis (Wikipedia) said:
In the localised Celtic polytheism practised in Great Britain, Sulis was a deity worshiped at the thermal spring of Bath (now in Somerset). She was worshiped by the Romano-British as Sulis Minerva1 whose votive objects and inscribed lead tablets suggest that she was conceived of both as a nourishing, life-giving mother goddess and as an effective agent of curses wished by her votaries.

1 So it seems Sulis was originally a Celtic deity, and the Romans adapted/merged it with the Roman goddess Minerva.

An interesting example of the mix of cultures in Britain (there are many other examples in Britain). Celts, Romans, Saxons, Picts, Vikings, Normans... that's why I'm fascinated by the history of Britain. :smile:

Last edited:
  • #1,002
Scotland today so hopefully get an opportunity to get some decent images.

• Love
Likes DennisN
  • #1,003
pinball1970 said:
Scotland today so hopefully get an opportunity to get some decent images.
That's cool, where are you going to?

I will start digitizing my UK photo collection today :smile:.
I was a little disapponted with the quality of my scans, so instead I'm going to try to photocopy with my Sony A7R camera and a macro lens. I'm setting up a mini photo studio at home at the moment :smile:.

• #1,004
DennisN said:
That's cool, where are you going to?

I will start digitizing my UK photo collection today :smile:.
I was a little disapponted with the quality of my scans, so instead I'm going to try to photocopy with my Sony A7R camera and a macro lens. I'm setting up a mini photo studio at home at the moment :smile:.
Newton Stewart near Stranraer. It's raining so anything from distance will look a bit misty. I have a new tablet so see how they come out.

Likes DennisN
  • #1,005
Did anyone here get a photo of the comet? I tried, but with the skies near me I could barely find the big dipper.

• #1,006
Likes collinsmark, Algr and dlgoff
  • #1,007
berkeman said:

View attachment 321706
IMG_20230205_050613.jpg

• Wow
Likes DennisN
  • #1,008
  • #1,009
DennisN said:
@epenguin , I thought the last photo in your post depicted a Roman, but it seems to actually be a Celtic and Roman mix.
and
1 So it seems Sulis was originally a Celtic deity, and the Romans adapted/merged it with the Roman goddess Minerva.

An interesting example of the mix of cultures in Britain (there are many other examples in Britain). Celts, Romans, Saxons, Picts, Vikings, Normans... that's why I'm fascinated by the history of Britain. :smile:
Thank you – actually when I recovered the picture from my albums I was slightly embarrassed to not remember who that was. Now you have stirred some memory and I think you are right about that.

Likes DennisN
  • #1,010
A Bald Eagle in Dutch Harbor

1675619911763.jpeg

• Love
Likes collinsmark, morrobay, DennisN and 2 others
  • #1,011
The view from my room

1675619984462.jpeg

Likes morrobay, DennisN and BillTre
  • #1,013
BillTre said:
Where?
Dutch Harbor, Unalaska, Alaska

Likes BillTre
  • #1,014
Ivan Seeking said:
Unalaska, Alaska
Does these disappear and release energy where they touch?

• Haha
Likes Algr and DennisN
  • #1,015
BillTre said:
Does these disappear and release energy where they touch?
Haha, not un as in anti-. But I don't recall ever finding out exactly how that name originated.

I spent Christmas and New Years there that year - 3 weeks total. We also had an ice storm with 100+ MPH winds while I was there. Crazy place to be in the winter! I was there for a big job. But at least I got to work on the side of the island with a runway. On the other side, the plane lands on the beach.

Likes BillTre