Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Random Question about designing parts

1. Oct 13, 2011 #1
    Hello all!

So if I wanted to make and order a part to a device I am designing, where would I go to do that? I know this may seem like a weird question but here is my situation.

My brother has two graphics cards in his computer and there is a VERY thin space between them, and because of that, they run hotter than normal. I am thinking that if I could somehow make and order my own heat-sink to put in between the cards and screw to the sides of the case, it could help dissipate the heat.

Are there any companies where I could maybe send a mold of the part where they can cast the part with the proper material? It would be really neat if I could actually design the heat-sink instead of slapping together parts I find around the house.

Does anyone know what I mean? I hope this makes sense!
    Thanks all!

EDIT: I see a lot of videos of mini-engines people make them selves and I am thinking, "How do they get a cast of the block and all the other components!?"

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2011 #2
    If you're interested in this kind of stuff you might find a course in machine shop very exiting. Most of the guys on YouTube who make their own little engines have machine shop experience and access to a metal lathe and mill.

Due to a man named Dave Gingery a lot of people are also now casting their own aluminum parts in the back yard with very cheap, home made equipment.

I suspect all these people have found and ordered books from this company, which is a garage tinkerer's paradise:

http://www.lindsaybks.com/

4. Oct 13, 2011 #3
    Cool thanks! I'll look into it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook