Random Question about designing parts

• Thread starter Xyius
  • Start date
Hello all!

So if I wanted to make and order a part to a device I am designing, where would I go to do that? I know this may seem like a weird question but here is my situation.

My brother has two graphics cards in his computer and there is a VERY thin space between them, and because of that, they run hotter than normal. I am thinking that if I could somehow make and order my own heat-sink to put in between the cards and screw to the sides of the case, it could help dissipate the heat.

Are there any companies where I could maybe send a mold of the part where they can cast the part with the proper material? It would be really neat if I could actually design the heat-sink instead of slapping together parts I find around the house.

Does anyone know what I mean? I hope this makes sense!
Thanks all!

EDIT: I see a lot of videos of mini-engines people make them selves and I am thinking, "How do they get a cast of the block and all the other components!?"

Answers and Replies

EDIT: I see a lot of videos of mini-engines people make them selves and I am thinking, "How do they get a cast of the block and all the other components!?"
If you're interested in this kind of stuff you might find a course in machine shop very exiting. Most of the guys on YouTube who make their own little engines have machine shop experience and access to a metal lathe and mill.

Due to a man named Dave Gingery a lot of people are also now casting their own aluminum parts in the back yard with very cheap, home made equipment.

I suspect all these people have found and ordered books from this company, which is a garage tinkerer's paradise:

http://www.lindsaybks.com/

Cool thanks! I'll look into it!