Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Random thoughts on Maxwell's demon

1. Feb 24, 2012 #1
    This just came into my head. I don't think I really understand the significance of Maxwell's demon.

Please don't try to explain it to me. It's just a random thought.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2012 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: PF Random Thoughts

Sorry, you can't make that statement and request at PF and expect cooperation. :biggrin:

Maxwell's demon is a famous thought experiment that seemed to suggest that it is possible to get free energy - to make heat flow from cold to hot.

I was watching the original Andromeda Strain movie tonight. I've seen this a number of times but never realized I had only seen a highly edited version of the original movie. Suddenly there were scenes coming up I'd never seen before! That's always a nice susprise on a movie you thought you knew forwards and backwards. I only had it on because I was working and not really paying attention. Only by chance did I look up at just the right time.

4. Feb 25, 2012 #3

The "entity" which is what Maxwell actually called it, just stands there and opens a door when more energetic molecules happen to be aimed at the door. He doesn't open it for less energetic particles. All he is doing is separating hotter from colder.

This is not impossible, and happens all the time in Nature: hot air rises by itself, no "demon' necessary. Separate the top half of any container of air from the bottom half, and you have what the demon did.

5. Feb 25, 2012 #4

The container needs to be isolated. Without gravity, the top half would not get hotter than the bottom half.

6. Feb 25, 2012 #5

What do you mean by "isolated"? And I'm sorry for not stipulating this wouldn't work in outer space. Didn't think anyone would go there.

7. Feb 25, 2012 #6

Isolated means that energy is not allowed to pass through the walls of the container. The energy to lift the hot gas comes from outside the box.

8. Feb 25, 2012 #7

Eh? The air has to have some non-zero temp to begin with. Put some air in a thermos and the hotter, more energetic particles automatically work their way to the top while the less energetic ones sink. The colder ones can be packed more closely together, the more energetic ones rise to the zone of least density.

9. Feb 25, 2012 #8

You can most easily see what I am saying by trying to create a horizontal temperature gradient. Or by moving the container to a place where there is no gravity.

10. Feb 25, 2012 #9

It doesn't work horizontally (without an "entity") and I already agree it wouldn't work vertically without gravity.

11. Feb 25, 2012 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Surely you understand what the significance of free energy would be? It would mean there would be no need for an energy supply, like oil. It would mean you can get something for nothing. Maxwell's Demon appeared to violate the second law of thermodynamics - loosely stated, there are no free rides. In it's simplest form the 2nd law says that without the addition of energy to the system, heat flows from hot to cold. I have a favorite quote for this issue.

-------- Arthur S. Eddington (British Astrophysicist, 1882-1944) in The nature of the Physical World (1928)

I'd never seen the theater release; only the version edited for TV. That had never occurred to me before.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  12. Feb 25, 2012 #11

Here are Maxwell's original words (it's not long):

http://web.lemoyne.edu/~giunta/demon.html

It's not really about violating the second law. It's about having to view a huge number of individual things as a uniform thing.

13. Feb 25, 2012 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your statement makes no sense. Maybe you should stick to art. :biggrin:

14. Feb 25, 2012 #13

Yes it is. I took this from your link.

15. Feb 25, 2012 #14
    Also, make note of this from the link:

For the purpose of this discussion, heat is the same thing as energy, i.e. the envelope should permit no passage of energy. The examples you have given us all depend on gravity to provide the energy for the heated gas to rise. This energy is in the form of a potential gradient which comes from outside the container.

16. Feb 25, 2012 #15
    That's what I'm saying: gravity is the demon, and this happens all the time. The air near the ceiling is always at a higher temp than the air near the floor.

17. Feb 25, 2012 #16

The gedanken is prelude to this:

18. Feb 25, 2012 #17
    That's the 'gravity demom' /
    Maxwell's demon would make the air hotter near the floor and cooler near the ceiling.

19. Feb 25, 2012 #18
    No, the demon is not allowed to work across the walls of the container. Maxwell's demon is inside the container.

20. Feb 25, 2012 #19
    Ah! I think you're right! Vertically speaking, this is what Maxwell would be describing.

21. Feb 25, 2012 #20
    I know. The original remark to Ivan merely points out the automatic separation of hot from cold without any human effort. Meaning: if you really want to separate hot air from cold without any effort, let gravity do it; no impossible demon necessary. The main implication of that being; even if you miraculously violated the 2nd law, all you'd get is the same thing that happens all the time anyway by gravity in any room. This doesn't represent any amazing "free energy". People ignore it, take it for granted. When they imagine of it being done miraculously in violation of the 2nd law, suddenly it becomes psychologically important, despite the fact it's not enough of a temperature separation to do very much with.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook