Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
Max points in math analysis exam!

Likes Sophia, fresh_42, Ibix and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
nuuskur said:
Max points in math analysis exam!
There's an "A in analysis" joke there somewhere...

Ibix said:
There's an "A in analysis" joke there somewhere...
Maybe the Analysis exam is not compact so there may not be a max? Or maybe his real name is Max.

WWGD said:
Maybe the Analysis exam is not compact so there may not be a max? Or maybe his real name is Max.
The real questions are far more basic: Is it discrete? Which degree of separation does the exam have? Is there a closure to Analysis?

WWGD said:
Wow, that sounds mysterious. Any issues with Jojo in Tucson Arizona?
You mean beside AZ?

Any California grass?
Just take a stop in CO for some weed! :cool:

I am in Spring Autowire hell. Wiring components is one thing, wiring every possible variable in the system is ridiculous. Why is it that the people who create junk like this never stick around to care and feed the maintainence headache that they've created? :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Borg said:
I am in Spring Autowire hell. Wiring components is one thing, wiring every possible variable in the system is ridiculous. Why is it that the people who create junk like this never stick around to care and feed the maintainence headache that they've created? :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
'Spring' is the German imperative for 'Jump!' - lol

fresh_42 said:
'Spring' is the German imperative for 'Jump!' - lol
If only there was a tall bridge nearby... :oldruck:

Borg said:
If only there was a tall bridge nearby... :oldruck:
:DD I don't understand things completely, only find their interactions a little strange.

Silicon Waffle said:
:DD I don't understand things completely, only find their interactions a little strange.
Particle physicist?

Avocados are finally back in season. Or something. They're 3 for a dollar, which is what I consider the acceptable price.

They're actually always available, but for reasons unknown to me, there are months where they cost a dollar each.

I really miss New England sometimes because apples are so plentiful there, in the fall, anyway, you can get lots for cheap (I'm talking 'as-if-they-grew-on-trees' cheap).

zoobyshoe said:
Avocados are finally back in season. Or something. They're 3 for a dollar, which is what I consider the acceptable price.

They're actually always available, but for reasons unknown to me, there are months where they cost a dollar each.

I really miss New England sometimes because apples are so plentiful there, in the fall, anyway, you can get lots for cheap (I'm talking 'as-if-they-grew-on-trees' cheap).
A propos New England. The avocado price will likely increase until Feb. 7th. They will be probably very cheap again on the 8th. :cool:

fresh_42 said:
A propos New England. The avocado price will likely increase until Feb. 7th. They will be probably very cheap again on the 8th. :cool:
Another obscure reference. Are you a fan of Dennis Miller? How about avocados in AZ?

Pat myself in the back for getting my SQL queries done 95% cirrectly, going across town to look for a place that has working SQL software.

WWGD said:
Another obscure reference. Are you a fan of Dennis Miller? How about avocados in AZ?
Nope. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/31/avocado-consumption-super-bowl_n_2593831.html .

Last edited by a moderator:
fresh_42 said:
Particle physicist?
Almost! It's molecular dynamics. :biggrin:

fresh_42 said:
Nope. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/31/avocado-consumption-super-bowl_n_2593831.html .
I see, avocado day. Some 20+ people play while around 80 million people gorge themselves -- my kind of party.

Had a few Krispy Cremes today. I thought the company had gone out of business. The glazed ones are excellent, way better to me than anything from Dunkin.

Mangoes are delicious but at $5 a pop, who can even justify buying them?

Likes Sophia
fresh_42 said:
I guess that pretty much explains why they've gone up in price around here, in general. They're getting exported more and more to the rest of the country. Used to be you could find them in some markets here @6 for a dollar, but I haven't seen that in a long time.

Sirsh said:
Mangoes are delicious but at $5 a pop, who can even justify buying them?
I'm not a fan of the mango. Nor do I like the pomegranate. I also have little use for the lime.

Does anyone know of a 'flexible' semi-conductor?

zoobyshoe said:
I'm not a fan of the mango. Nor do I like the pomegranate. I also have little use for the lime.
So you're a total loss at the cocktail and long drink front.

Sirsh said:
Does anyone know of a 'flexible' semi-conductor?
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/429344/bendable-microchips-could-make-smarter-sensors/

Likes Sirsh
Today was a good day...I didn't even have to use my A.K... :oldsmile:

zoobyshoe said:

Whaaat so cheap? Here they are about 2 dollars for one piece usually, now about a dollar when it's their season.

Astronuc said:
One of the World's Most Wanted Criminals Found Working at a Subway Restaurant in the UK
http://www.eater.com/2016/1/21/10807960/most-wanted-criminal-found-at-subway
The restaurant is located across the street from the local police station.
Wow, and then they had the issue with Fogle, who was their spokesman. What a great reputation they are creating for themselves.

fresh_42 said:
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/429344/bendable-microchips-could-make-smarter-sensors/

Vaguely -related, it seems they are developing (technologically) flexible fabric for shirts whose composition will change to adapt to the weather conditions and to those of the person wearing them. This is why I consider actual science more interesting than science fiction. EDIT: Imagine what else could be done: maybe a shirt with (bendable) microchips could also analyze the person's chemistry and figure out which chemicals a person is short in, lacking in, etc. Pretty insane.

Last edited:
Likes Sirsh
fresh_42 said:
So you're a total loss at the cocktail and long drink front.
Total loss. Absolutely.
Sophia said:
Whaaat so cheap? Here they are about 2 dollars for one piece usually, now about a dollar when it's their season.
They grow here in Southern California. This is avocado country.

Likes Sophia
PF keeps logging me of every few minutes and asking me to log back on.

WWGD said:
PF keeps logging me of every few minutes and asking me to log back on.
There's a current thread on this in "Feedback."

Likes WWGD
WWGD said:
Imagine what else could be done: maybe a shirt with (bendable) microchips could also analyze the person's chemistry and figure out which chemicals a person is short in
You mean next time you go into a supermarket your sweater will force you to purchase celery, carrots and mangoes and hinder you from buying PB?

Likes WWGD and Sophia
fresh_42 said:
You mean next time you go into a supermarket your sweater will force you to purchase celery, carrots and mangoes and hinder you from buying PB?
I was thinking more of a straight jacket , but that one is good too.